As designed MG 2.1rc: No options anymore for changing/deleting watermark, larger image, lightbox

snoopy5

Affected version
MG 2.1rc
I just upgraded from a testintallation from MG 1.1.17 to MG 2.1rc.

It seems that the options shown in the MG 1.1.17 screenshot below are not showing up in MG 2.1rc. At least I do not find them. So I guess this is a bug.

In usergroup permissions, I put all settings for the Administrators to "yes".

The watermark can be removed using inline moderation. We no longer have any lightbox integration. A larger image can be viewed by opening the image itself in a new tab.

You can access inline moderation in the usual way.

Opening an image in a new tab is standard browser functionality. Right click on the image > Open in new tab.

There are also links available in the "Share this media" block.

You can access inline moderation in the usual way.

Maybe I am blind, but if I look at the image after having clicked on it, I can not see any kind of inline moderation available. I do not see neither any other way where it could be.

Opening an image in a new tab is standard browser functionality. Right click on the image > Open in new tab.

I am sorry, but I can hardly believe this. Are you saying that you took away a feature of the old version and now expect that we educate our users on using browser functionalities?

95% of internet ussers have no clue about this right-click functionality. And nobody will remember this when visiting a gallery. They look at images and at buttons and descriptions. If it is not there, it does not exist for them.

They will not make the effort to experiment with their browser to see a larger image, when they are used to have buttons for this everywhere else on the net. They will just leave and not come back again.

Why was this nice button moved away? This was a lot better in the old version and for photo-oriented sites extremely important.

I do not get it, why the decision about features in a Media Gallery are not reflecting photo-oriented userneeds. I am sorry if I sound harsh and unsatisfied, but I test and compare since two days now this software for many hours beside a normal day job and I hardly see any progress in the feature list of MG over the last 5 years since I looked the last time at it.

I am really disappointed. For 65$ plus yearly renewal fee I would have expected a lot more progress.

Maybe I am blind, but if I look at the image after having clicked on it, I can not see any kind of inline moderation available. I do not see neither any other way where it could be.
I don't know what else to say. You can access inline moderation via the checkbox on the media itself or through the "Select for moderation" checkbox on the media tools menu (the button with three dots).

I am sorry, but I can hardly believe this. Are you saying that you took away a feature of the old version and now expect that we educate our users on using browser functionalities?
We don't have a row of toolbar buttons anymore so there's nowhere to put such a thing. Plus it's just a button that already duplicates the built in functionality of evey single browser, plus there's a link to the full image already in the share block. You don't have to educate your users on anything. If they don't know how to use a computer properly, that's not really your problem. Another difference from XFMG1 is that the image now "fits" in the viewport so there shouldn't be any part of the image displayed off screen as it was before.

95% of internet ussers have no clue about this right-click functionality. And nobody will remember this when visiting a gallery. They look at images and at buttons and descriptions. If it is not there, it does not exist for them.
That is an exaggeration at best.

I do not get it, why the decision about features in a Media Gallery are not reflecting photo-oriented userneeds. I am sorry if I sound harsh and unsatisfied, but I test and compare since two days now this software for many hours beside a normal day job and I hardly see any progress in the feature list of MG over the last 5 years since I looked the last time at it.
Sorry it disappoints you but you must be the only "photo oriented" community we have (which is not true) because all of the other many communities using it have been perfectly happy with the functionality and the featureset in XFMG 2.x.

I am really disappointed. For 65$ plus yearly renewal fee I would have expected a lot more progress.
Hopefully over time the product will evolve in line with your expectations. For now, it is what it is and we (as do most of our customers) seem happy with what we currently have so there's little point in us discussing it further.

Another difference from XFMG1 is that the image now "fits" in the viewport so there shouldn't be any part of the image displayed off screen as it was before.
I think this is potentially worth reiterating. In a "normal" setup (excepting a very large window I believe), generally speaking, the image is allowed to take up most of the viewport, which is fairly similar in overall size to what would be displayed in a lightbox or full screen (it is potentially slightly smaller due to padding). Compared to XFMG 1.x, which had a sidebar which would commonly limit the image size.

Hopefully over time the product will evolve in line with your expectations. For now, it is what it is and we (as do most of our customers) seem happy with what we currently have so there's little point in us discussing it further.

Please do understand, I do not want to bash here blindly on products. But we also have to realize, that since a few months, MG has no competition anymore.

Sonnb Xengallery (which is a lot more photo-oriented) is not supported anymore. Nobody knows why because it sold well, was stable and had almost everything needed. It seems to be a private reason, because all other addons of the same develoer are not supportetd neither anymnore and he even does not show up in his own support forum anymore.

I am not surprised that the majority of the new MG user do not waste their energy with complaints about functionality at the moment, because there is no alternative out there at the moment. That does not mean that they are happy.

Although I do criticise, which looks at first sight dumb, this is the only way to help and to improve a product. If everybody "plays" happy, because its too much effort for them to write about it, nothing will change.

I have a different view on this. If I want to use MG in the long run, I need in small areas a lot more than what is possible at the moment.

So the earlier I put my finger on these points, the faster it will get better.

.... or through the "Select for moderation" checkbox on the media tools menu (the button with three dots).

o.k., this works also in my installation:

I don't know what else to say. You can access inline moderation via the checkbox on the media itself ...

Maybe I am too dumb, but I do not find that alternative. See my screenshot.

If I click on the image, no XF menu appears. If I look around (except the other way described already above) nothing gives me a hint to find aother inline moderation option.

Maybe I am too dumb, but I do not find that alternative. See my screenshot.
The "inline moderation" appears when you're viewing multiple items, not the single item. In your example view your "People" album and then when viewing the list of thumbnails hover your mouse over the thumbnail.

The "inline moderation" appears when you're viewing multiple items, not the single item. In your example view your "People" album and then when viewing the list of thumbnails hover your mouse over the thumbnail.

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Thank you! This is the key!

Although I do criticise, which looks at first sight dumb, this is the only way to help and to improve a product. If everybody "plays" happy, because its too much effort for them to write about it, nothing will change.
A better solution really is to post suggestions in the XFMG Suggestions forum. If other people agree with your suggestions and like them, this will help the developers see what really needs adding (whether a completely new feature or something that has been previously removed).

I suspect that some owners of XFMG are still on XF 1.x and have yet to move to XF2 (for various reasons including waiting on add-ons or waiting for XF 2.1). It's only as people move over to the new version do they discover features that are missing that were in XFMG 1.x, such as this:

So again it's worth putting up suggestions as I reckon once XF 2.1 is out (and with XF 1.5.x support ending at the end of 2019) that more people will notice features not in XFMG that they would like adding.

I suspect that some owners of XFMG are still on XF 1.x and have yet to move to XF2 (for various reasons including waiting on add-ons or waiting for XF 2.1). It's only as people move over to the new version do they discover features that are missing that were in XFMG 1.x, such as this:
Another reason is as discussed here.... that for some forums their community has ended up using attachments in the forums over using the gallery. Something I'm running into is that it seems the 'camera crowd' (for lack of a better name) prefers something as simple & straight-forward as possible, such as make a post, attach their images, click save, talk about it. Having to first go to the gallery, add the images there, then go back to the forums and figure out how to insert the gallery embed tags (even if it is as easy as clicking the editor icon) is not something they want to do. Because of that I, along with others I'm aware of, end up looking at how to make posting attachments in posts as seamless & easy as possible while the gallery install sees little usage.

This is now going beyond the scope of this thread.

I agree that the behaviour changed in the last couple of years. You can not offer anymore 2 different places at the same time within your community to discus images easily. In most cases either the gallery or the forum will suffer in traffic.

This is why it is IMHO the best way to use both differently. The gallery for premium members as a kind of Homepage to present themselves and the forum for the image discussion itself to progress in photography.

But this is up to the decision of the adminsitrator of the community. He has to decide which part (gallery or forum) is more important for his communities. I had already communities which prefer the gallery for photo-critique and others which prefer the forum. But the forum is more common nowadays.

But neither the forum, nor the gallery are copies of Flickr or Facebook. People use forum and gallery plugins because they want to improve in photography. They want to read knowledge which does not depreciate in value over time. Like a workshop.

Otherwise they could do the same and more easy at Facebook, Flickr, WhatsApp, you name it...

I wouldn't put it so fiercely right now. But I have to confirm that the majority of my users have never heard of right-clicking. Of course, the very young, experienced internet generation. But I am often quite surprised at how difficult middle-aged people find it to do functions that should be taken for granted.

Even today, after 15 months after the change from vBulletin/Photopost Pro, many (!) members still complain in my Gallery that it is not as it was then. Photopost Pro was technically a piece of crap. But with the change to the XenMedia Gallery I have a considerable collapse in the use of the Gallery (not so in the forums!). Users avoid it, don't surf through it, delete their whole albums, because they don't like it anymore. It's dramatic, really. Even after 15 months still.

In any case, I will have to change the template to get the largest possible image display for the screen by clicking on the image. That's a real must!
Without it, my users would rip me up in the air and just walk away. I just don't know if simply opening the JPG helps or what makes more sense. In the same window? Never! User would close the window after viewing the single photo, then the screaming would be just as big. With target=_blank in a new tab? Mmmmh, better, but confusing. I have to say, the lightbox was the best solution for my users.

Is a lightbox still somewhere in the jQuery code, so I can access it with a template change, @ChrisD?
Otherwise, I find removing the toolbar quite positive, to eliminate complexity for things that are rarely used... But the lightbox is already missing - maybe please offer it as an option?

And another important point, because I mentioned it above (I'll also will open a suggestion): one of the main reasons for the violent reactions after the change from PhotoPost Pro (really, even now after 15 months still!) is that you can't surf over the single users. Sure, you have links to user albums on the profile pages and the MemberCard and you can search in the Gallery for an album of a user.
But there is no filter, no overview (as in PhotoPost), with which you can easily see the users as 1x thumb each and thus browse pages alphabetically (option: chronologically sorted by newest picture in an album) through the users and when opening the thumb of the user see all their albums and images. Or do I still oversee it?

My members are a community, they share, they like each other, unlike in the social media / Facebook groups. It is not about fast 10,000 likes for a picture, it is about worthy presentation, appreciation, order. That can only deliver a very good gallery. And I do not run a photo community, although most of my members behave like this...
Attachments in threads have their place, they are good for the threads. But they are not an alternative for a valuable gallery.

And the lightbox is missing :(

But I have to confirm that the majority of my users have never heard of right-clicking. Of course, the very young, experienced internet generation

The young generation will not even visit a forum, which does not behave like it is made for a smartphone. That means tapping on images.

In any case, I will have to change the template to get the largest possible image display for the screen by clicking on the image.

Good idea. Keep us updated!

is that you can't surf over the single users. Sure, you have links to user albums on the profile pages and the MemberCard and you can search in the Gallery for an album of a user.
But there is no filter, no overview (as in PhotoPost), with which you can easily see the users as 1x thumb each and thus browse pages alphabetically (option: chronologically sorted by newest picture in an album) through the users and when opening the thumb of the user see all their albums and images. Or do I still oversee it?

I used to have also Photopost Pro in the old vbulletin times on all of my forums. The software was a horror (the code, the bugs etc.), but it was more photo-oriented regarding the structure and some features. But design & look? horrible.

Yeah, PhotoPost Pro was pure horror, really. The XenMedia Gallery is so much better. But it lacks a few necessary things to "flow" through a well structured gallery and have fun thinning albums and pictures. I will make a few suggestions later in individual threads.

Just one thing at the end:
Even if users would know how to right-click (I know, most users don't know) and even if it would be convenient to open single jpgs in separate tabs (it's not to my taste) - how would they know that there's a bigger picture behind the "fixed" photo on the page? It's a usability break.

There is no need to have a complex lightbox with navigation buttons for previous or subsequent images.
A soft opening of the one image on the page up to the maximum size of the browser or up to the maximum resolution of the image (whichever comes first) with click/tap on the image and with the renewed tap again downsize again would be enough.

Last edited:
The reduced size of the displayed image is also an issue for me too, would love to see a small button that once clicked would display the full size image. and perhaps a way to adjust the size of the displayed image

We don't have a row of toolbar buttons anymore so there's nowhere to put such a thing. Plus it's just a button that already duplicates the built in functionality of evey single browser, plus there's a link to the full image already in the share block. You don't have to educate your users on anything. If they don't know how to use a computer properly, that's not really your problem. Another difference from XFMG1 is that the image now "fits" in the viewport so there shouldn't be any part of the image displayed off screen as it was before.
Even some experienced users needed to be educated.

Plus it's just a button that already duplicates the built in functionality of evey single browser

Yeah but it makes it foolproof, for us dummies ( :ROFLMAO: ), plus browsers open a new tab... expected something like FB, which is not a new tab. You enter/escape. No lightbox, just a foolproof button.
xfmg_fullscreen.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom