Fixed meta description not showing in page source

Mr Lucky

Affected version
I have text in the meta description field of Basic Board Information, but does not show in the page source

OK, I see the issue. The meta description field does not apply to the home page, only the forum list. I have a page as home page and assumed that the description would apply to that, but it doesn't.

OK, it does say Enter a description for your board. This will be placed inside the meta description tag for the forum home page, so avoid using HTML.

This implied to me it was the description for the home page, not the forum list page. So maybe slightly misleading. I think of forum home page as the actual root home page of the forum.

Now I have set the description for the home page in the actual page node that is home page it is OK.

So maybe still a bug in that it is not an obvious instruction?

Maybe the description text is slightly outdated for that option.

Nonetheless if you want to add the meta description to a template the forum_list template should provide some clues how to do that.

You’ll see the usage of a macro named “metadata_macros” with the description passed into it. That can be added to any template to ensure the description is added.

Maybe the description text is slightly outdated for that option.
Yes, well it certainly caught me out.

Nonetheless if you want to add the meta description to a template the forum_list template should provide some clues how to do that.

It's not necessary because what you add in Basic Board information shows there. My only issue was that the implication of thew wording was that it would show on home page.

To get the correct homepage meta I just had to add a description to the page node in ACP. However the only issue with that is it shows on the page itself, and some people may not want that in which case I presume it must be done via a template.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.10).

Change log:
Slightly adjust the explain text for the boardDescription option to clarify it applies to the "Forums default page".
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom