1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messenger Style Conversations

LOL, OMG, etc.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Brogan submitted a new resource:

Messenger Style Conversations - LOL, OMG, etc.

Read more about this resource...

Divvens, resonansER, Amaury and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this! :) I had been wondering what approach you took for the conditionals for the reversed left/right postbits.

3. Brogan

I was originally going to release it as a packaged 'add-on' so wanted to keep the template mod as limited and simple as possible, to ensure maximum compatibility with third party styles, etc.
    In the end I decided to just release it as a manual modification.

There's a lot of scope for customisation so hopefully it will give others some ideas.

maszd likes this.
  4. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

definitely looking forward to implementing this. Thanks @Brogan

5. RobinHood

RobinHood Well-Known Member

Nice Brogan. I've done something similar. Now we just need live updating like messenger so you don't have to reload the page.

6. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

That would make it worthy of becoming it's own plug-in wouldn't it?

7. Brogan

Indeed - that's way out of scope for this simple modification.

8. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Anyone successfully integrated with UI.X based styles?

9. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Is it possible to have the size of the background change based on the size of the message like on Skype?

10. Brogan

Try removing the min-height from the content - that's a default configuration for XF.

Amaury likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Well-Known Member

In the message template comment out this code
    Code:
    <li id="{$messageId}" class="sectionMain message {xen:if $message.isDeleted, 'deleted'} {xen:if '{$message.is_staff}', 'staff'} {xen:if $message.isIgnored, ignored} {xen:if $message.isNew, 'new'} {$uix_additionalClasses}" data-author="{$message.username}">

<div class="uix_message {xen:if @uix_classicPostbit, 'uix_classicMessage'}">
    Then add this below it
    Code:
    <li id="{$messageId}" class="message {xen:if $message.isDeleted, 'deleted'} {xen:if '{$message.is_staff}', 'staff'} {xen:if $message.isIgnored, ignored} {xen:if '{$message.conversation_id}', {xen:if '{$visitor.user_id} ==  {$message.user_id}', 'ctaConversationMessageSelf', 'ctaConversationMessageOther'}}" data-author="{$message.username}">

<div>
    And use the provided EXTRA.css code.

Seemed to work for me using UI.X Dark style though you may need to play around with margins to get it looking decent.

Mouth likes this.
  12. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Thanks, worked great with Xenith (UI.X)

Gemma likes this.
  13. Cylent1

Cylent1 Active Member

Hello!
    I am running XF 1.5.10
    Using a fresh untouched install, I changed the 1 line of code in the "message" template, then added the .css to EXTRA.css.
    Both edits were done in the "default" style.
    I cannot get this working. Nothing changes.

14. Brogan

You must not have done it correctly or you've done it in a different style - it works exactly as listed in the resource.

15. Cylent1

Cylent1 Active Member

I thought so too, but doing this on a total fresh install I just dont see that happening. I am almost positive it might have something to do with the latest XF..

EDIT*** I just also tried using the Template Modifications way also with no luck....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  16. RSI

RSI Active Member

Hi, is there a way to remove the sidebar, but only in Conversations? I think this mod would look even better with the sidebar removed. It may just be personal preference thing on my part though.

17. Brogan

Yes, you can edit the template and remove the code, use a conditional statement, CSS to hide it, etc.

18. RSI

RSI Active Member

Which template?

19. Brogan

20. Sami Jalal

Sami Jalal Well-Known Member