XF 2.0 Merging threads

Ben44

I don't know if this is by design or error but it completely messes up the administration of xenforo.

Cannot merge threads unless two or more are selected.

I done that and missed one but because there is only one thread, there is no way to merge it into the correct thread, so what do I do, make one up
and then merge them and then delete the made up one.

I think this needs looking at rather swiftly please.

Ok, it was me. You can use 'Move' which I wasn't expecting when I wanted to 'Merge' something.
Merge when it's two post/threads or more and Move when it's just one.

A bit of a silly command.

The Merge process is non intuitive to me...

If both threads are in the same forum and appear close in the thread list so you can easily select each, it sort of makes sense. The fact that a Merge option doesn't even appear anywhere unless you have two threads selected seems odd to anyone not expecting to have to select threads FIRST before finding the command.

If the threads are in entirely different forums, it is a bit more confusing. I also don't see anything that lets me chose which thread is the surviving or destination thread. Is this controlled by the order in which the threads are selected prior to initiating the merge command?

I think it would be clearer if the Merge command simply showed up on the moderate list and there were places to put links to each thread,

Source thread: link
Destination thread: link
Destination title: defaults to existing destination title but can be changed.
Destination thread location: defaults to current forum location but can be changed via dropdown, like in move command

Of course, this could just be a case of me having to do it a few more times so that it feels more natural...:unsure:

You can select the threads with the "select for moderation" option within the thread (as well as on the thread listings). This will expose the merge option once you have all of the threads you want selected. (Note that you can merge more than 2 threads simultaneously.)

In terms of which is the destination thread, that's the first option of the merge dialog:

Note that the posts will always be in chronological order though.

Isn’t the “destination” or “surviving” thread always going to have to be the one with the first post that has the earliest date?
Yes this is driving me crazy! I merge two threads into say, a later thread and now the guy with the earlier thread is first post. We used to be able to change date or time on a post in order to move it up, but I don’t see that either!

Yes this is driving me crazy! I merge two threads into say, a later thread and now the guy with the earlier thread is first post. We used to be able to change date or time on a post in order to move it up, but I don’t see that either!
I’m not sure how else it could work. The first post should be the earliest or it can be really confusing, eg if replies come before the post they are replying to.

Xenforo has never offered the opportunity to change post date but there are addons for this

Top Bottom