Merging Forums

Cal

I'm in the process of speaking with another political forum about them selling out to me. I would buy their forum and merge it into mine. Does anyone know HOW to do this?

Their forum is Vbulletin so I would assume I'd have to convert it to xenforo first...but I'm not sure where to go from there.....

Anyone have any ideas? Mods??

Hey Bama, I know you've probably done this in the past. Any guidance on it?

How do you fix the URL's?

What's the easiest way to do this?? :coffee:

Hey Bama, I know you've probably done this in the past. Any guidance on it?

How do you fix the URL's?

What's the easiest way to do this?? :coffee:

All my mergers were done into fresh xenForo installs. If you import into an already established xenForo forum then the thread ids won't match and you can't use redirect rules.

So what would be the best way, if any way to merge those two forums. The primary being mine on an xen platform, and the secondary being on a VB4 platform. I need everything to go into the xen thing.

Forgive me if I sound dumb....but I just can't wrap my head around this. I have no clue how to do it. I just need it done, and if I can save money by not needing to hire someone to do it, all the same.

Use the vBulletin > xenForo importer. There is no way that I know of though to make the old urls work once the conversion is over, since you are not doing the conversion into a fresh xenForo install.

So what would be the best way, if any way to merge those two forums. The primary being mine on an xen platform, and the secondary being on a VB4 platform. I need everything to go into the xen thing.

Forgive me if I sound dumb....but I just can't wrap my head around this. I have no clue how to do it. I just need it done, and if I can save money by not needing to hire someone to do it, all the same.

Use the vB4 importer:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.256/

Use the vBulletin > xenForo importer. There is no way that I know of though to make the old urls work once the conversion is over, since you are not doing the conversion into a fresh xenForo install.

Use these redirect scripts:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.5030/

They map the old ids to the new ones. This redirect method always works regardless of whether or not the ids were preserved.

Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom