1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Merge Several Features

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by =MGN=RedEagle, Oct 3, 2014.

1. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

2. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Recent Activity shows a mixture of different activity - the other two obviously are more specific. Personally I'd hate to see the two specific ones lost in favour of Recent Activity.

Amaury likes this.
  3. =MGN=RedEagle

Why have overlap though? Maybe each could serve a different function and we could have one page where all are combined in a palatable way?

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Because Recent Activity is just that - showing a list of everything - where the other two are specific to Posts and/or Profiles. I think they're palatable enough as they stand. They perform exactly as they should.

Amaury likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

And they do serve different functions . . .and the one page where they're all combined is Recent Activity o_O

Amaury likes this.
  6. =MGN=RedEagle

For the not-so-tech savvy, it's hard to understand how to inteact with https://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/. Before I build sites I get grandmas together (yes I am serious :D) to tell me what they think and that seemed to really confuse them.

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

It's not really hard - Recent Activity is all Recent Activity on the site - profile posts, normal posts, new threads, likes (I think). Profile Posts.. is a list of profile posts made and New Posts is new posts that have been made.

Amaury likes this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Dumbing software down to suit one tiny minority isn't a particularly useful thing to do.

Amaury and Lisa like this.
  9. =MGN=RedEagle

If you make software usable for those bad with it, it could redefine simplicity. I find myself falling into the geek trap of assuming people will know how to use something because I made something like some other things on the web.

EDIT: Also ironically 60+ women is the target audience for one of my websites.

10. =MGN=RedEagle

IMO I feel like Facebook did this and I think it was a good thing. Just my opinion.

11. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

The software is simple to use right now. All you need to do is add some threads explaining the (apparently) more complex function.

Amaury likes this.
  12. Brogan

In my experience, people who use Facebook rarely get on with forums.

Thankfully.

Lisa and Jeremy P like this.
  13. =MGN=RedEagle

This one site I run, 100% of the users came from Facebook, hence my focus on simplicity.

14. =MGN=RedEagle

There are a lot of people who find using a thing like a forum a nightmare of confusion.

15. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Probably shouldn't be using a forum then :)

Amaury likes this.
  16. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Hey, I resent that. (JK!) :p I use Facebook and get on with forums.

17. =MGN=RedEagle

Xenforo is made by talented developers who develop with integrity. I can't find a social networking solution that does that.

18. Brogan

The reason XenForo works is because how it has been designed.

Dumbing it down to suit pensioners who can barely work out which way to hold a mouse is a sure fire way of breaking it.

Adam H, Lisa, Amaury and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Say it how it is, Paul *dies laughing*

Amaury likes this.