XF 2.0 Merge languages

developr

Hi there,

in XF2 it is only possible to overwrite an existing language.

Have sombody an idea how to merge a language with another one? Since a couple of weeks I build a language pack and in the final I would like to merge each version of language to a "master language". But if I use "overwrite" then complete language will be overwritten.

Last edited:
I have a language file with 3114 phrases and another with 7139 phrase.

If I import the small one as new language and overwrite it with the big one then I have totally 7139 phrases instead 3114+7139 phrases.

In the big language file there are no phrases of the small file, so normally it must be merged?!

There isn't any built in way to do this directly. You may be able to fake it by importing one language as the parent and the other as the child.

Yes, I did it actually with childs but its laborious to export and import a lot of files.

Now I exported the last child with "Get unmodified phrases" as well.

If you export a language and select a specific add-on, only phrases related to that add-on will be overwritten. If you don't select an add-on, the phrases from all add-ons will be included and the full contents of the language will be overwritten.

If your languages each cover distinct add-ons (without overlap), that could resolve the issue. Though that seems unlikely with your explanation.

The only other approach is to manually change the data that is being imported.

That was really just referencing modifying the XML directly (such as bringing the contents of two files together). That isn't really something we'd recommend and it may have unexpected results.

No. Importing a translation for a specific add-on only affects phrases for that add-on (in the language you're importing into).

Top Bottom