1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Members should not be able to lock conversations with mods

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by dethfire, Mar 20, 2016.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

Members should not be able to lock conversations with mods/admins

dehness, ncbetz, nrep and 6 others like this.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Why not? What's the reasoning behind this? (They can only lock conversations they have started, they can't lock other conversations and it doesn't prevent moderators from starting a conversation with them).

Amaury likes this.
  3. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

Members should not be able to control the flow of discourse with staff. I've now had multiple times where a member starts a conversation with a mod/admin that requires a reply but the member has locked the conversation. It's very frustrating and a waste of time to start a new conversation with that member.

Steve F likes this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK Member

I have to agree with dethfire. I just started using XF again after a long break and didn't know this was possible, it shouldn't be. A troublesome member could easily use this ability to intentionally irritate staff members.

optrex likes this.
  5. wang

wang Well-Known Member

I agree too. If members can lock their own conversations, at the very least, staff members must still reply to them.

optrex likes this.
  6. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

It might be tricky try to single out one or more user groups a member could not close a conversation on. I don't know how that works. But this works very effectively, just ban the troublesome member.

7. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Could potentially make a "Can Bypass Conversation Locking" permission which lets their message go through even if the conversation is locked.

wedgar, PaulK and Steve F like this.
  8. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

This has been a feature of Conversation Essentials for a long time though it's implemented in a different way. I know $45 is a bit expensive, if you want just this feature, so I went ahead and made a new add-on with just this feature this morning since I woke up a little early for work. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-lock-bypass.5102/

PaulK and dethfire like this.
  9. Donny

Donny Active Member

Still too expensive IMO. Only IMO of course. I'll disable it by removing the check box manually.