1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Members Registering With Server IP Address

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Inkman, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

Can anyone help please, i am seeing an increase of people joining my site but there ip address is showing as my server ip address, does anyone know what could be causing this problem please?
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any proxies involved?
  3. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

We initially had this with how nginx was set up and it was proxy related. It also affected the number of users onlines stats.
    Inkman likes this.
  4. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

No it doesnt seem to be :s
  5. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

Is it worth me contacting my host do you think?
  6. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Never hurts.

The last time I saw this happen was when a host had basically blocked IP look up. Their excuse was that is slowed them down. o_O
    Inkman likes this.
  7. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

I have just sent them a ticket so i will see what they say. Mine is normally pretty good but we will see lol.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  8. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

Just had a reply:
    Adam Howard likes this.
  9. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Basically what I expected. While it was not blocked, the requirement was not there.

Glad you have this resolve (or will once your host fixes it) :)
    Inkman likes this.
  10. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

Well after me being told this had been fixed, its hasn't. He even has said "well the other websites on the server are ok" so really dont know if its a XenForo issue :s
  11. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

XenForo uses whatever comes through in $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] -- this comes directly from whatever is executing PHP (FastCGI server, Apache, etc). If they're doing a reverse proxy, then yes that may change the IP given to PHP. You should be able to demonstrate this trivially with a simple PHP info file (<?php phpinfo(); ?>).

You can override this in config.php if the original IP is actually forwarded in other header, but you shouldn't have to if it suddenly appeared and your host changed something -- ideally they would sort it.
    Inkman and Adam Howard like this.
  12. Inkman

Inkman Active Member

Thanks @Mike i told my host exactly what you had said and funnily enough its now working.
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  13. Joker Black

Joker Black Member

I also suffered from an IP address used is the IP address of the server.
    Who can guide me how to fix it?