Member with satellite Internet cannot upload images

craigiri

He says he gets an error 90% of the time.

I am trying to get more info on the computer/browser/error, but the guy is pretty well versed in basics of computers and has participated for years on our old forum.

Is there a timeout of sorts in the flash uploader or elsewhere I might be able to set for a longer time?

Any hints welcome.

Bleh, that's the generic one. Doesn't tell us much. Is there anything in the log?

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log

A timeout is possible. There is the max_execution_time in PHP. And XF's AJAX has a timeout of 30s. Has he tried different files? Perhaps smaller files? He is the only person with this problem?

He seems to be the only user with this problem, but we probably have very few satellite users and it is the slow time of year.
Jake, is the Ajax timeout able to be set longer somewhere?

Images are OK.....I can upload. Nothing in the logs I can see. I will check there again.

I changed the timeouts - no go!
His uploads are still not working 90% of the time.

Is there any way for ONE user to diable the flash uploads and us a simple uploader?

Any other possibilities here?

There is a way...

Not the most elegant solution.

Template attachment_upload_button

Change:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.swfUpload}">
<xen:require js="js/swfupload/swfupload.min.js" />
</xen:if>

To:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} == 1">
<xen:else />

Where 1 is the user ID of the user having problems.

Chris, that worked!

I tried everything else.

So my assumption is that this is a bug in the flash uploaded. It throws off an error to him in 12-15 seconds, which is well before any timeout. But the plain uploaded just takes its time and does the job.

Thanks!

It might be that eventually someone else needs your code or a takeoff on it that allows an array of users to be exempted...that is, more than one!

Chris, that worked!

I tried everything else.

So my assumption is that this is a bug in the flash uploaded. It throws off an error to him in 12-15 seconds, which is well before any timeout. But the plain uploaded just takes its time and does the job.

Thanks!

It might be that eventually someone else needs your code or a takeoff on it that allows an array of users to be exempted...that is, more than one!

Glad that worked :)

For an array of users

Code:
<xen:if is="in_array({$visitor.user_id}, array(x, y, z))">
<xen:else />

Where x, y and z are all different User IDs.

Great - I think this should help others in the future - I only have one guy who reported it out of thousands of users, but he is in a very rural area and uses satellite. Perhaps the flash uploader code has various hooks in it which error-out due to the sloppiness (lag times) of the space connection! After all, the speed of light can be slow sometimes!

Top Bottom