• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Member Map

Any idea when you may find the spare time to it...I can manage it with some changes myself if I knew how to add a text field to it

Hope you enjoyed your holiday mate!
As I'm also an IP.Board dev too, I've been quite busy these days getting my add-ons compatible with that, in addition to other post-vacation duties.

I have no idea when I'm back working on this add-on, so I'm afraid I can't give you an ETA.

If you are taking requests... any chance on pulling the location field from the users profile?

At least on our forum our members put in as much information as they want the world to know - such as city / state, or just state. If they show up in the wrong place because not enough information was provided then that is their problem :)

Specifically if they say they are located in Paris, and they show up in France, but they meant Paris Texas - they could fix it if they wanted to.
You want the users to automatically show up on the map without no further interactions on their side? As you said yourself, that will create problems as many places around the globe share the same name, Google will always choose the "biggest" location. This will have the biggest impact on "local" forums, one for Texas for example, where the users would only enter the name of the city. Just writing "Paris" would have them show up in France, while writing "Paris, TX" would show the correct location.

And people use that field to write all sort of gibberish too, which you also have to account for. That's why I settled for the solution I use today. If they've entered something in their location field, that is automatically added to the search field when they open the form, and - if they allow, HTML5 Geolocation will also attempt to find their location.

...You want the users to automatically show up on the map without no further interactions on their side?
Yes, for our particular forum that would be perfect... Assuming of course it does not try to map a location field that is blank.

I realize that these types of requests could be difficult to mange in a product such as yours, some comments in the code where to change things would suffice.

I am assuming of course that changes to your product, for use on one site, would be ok. But I did not see that mentioned in your post #1.

:)

Yes, for our particular forum that would be perfect... Assuming of course it does not try to map a location field that is blank.

I realize that these types of requests could be difficult to mange in a product such as yours, some comments in the code where to change things would suffice.

I am assuming of course that changes to your product, for use on one site, would be ok. But I did not see that mentioned in your post #1.

:)
You are more than welcome to do whatever changes you want to my code, as long as you don't release it as your own :)

That is extremely nice ibaker :)

What would be ideal for our forum is to be able to have those sorts of things input by the staff, or specific group of some type - then have the users locations shown from what ever they typed in their user profile field.

Again, comments in the code where to make it work that way for us would be more than sufficient. I don't expect this mod to support every possible combination of those types of things.

You are more than welcome to do whatever changes you want to my code, as long as you don't release it as your own :)

Martin, is there any way to make the /memberMap/ into /membermap/? I'm very OCD and fussy, and the capital M is annoying the hell out of me haha. Nice mod though. Installed and works like a charm :)

I`ve only just found & installed this app. Top notch (y) Is it possible for me to change the width to height ratio? Its currently the equivalent of a widescreen TV (16:9) but my users would prefer it to be a squarer format like the older TVs (4:3). Excuse my ignorance but I`ve only been running my own forum for about a month so any help would be appreciated.

I`ve only just found & installed this app. Top notch (y) Is it possible for me to change the width to height ratio? Its currently the equivalent of a widescreen TV (16:9) but my users would prefer it to be a squarer format like the older TVs (4:3). Excuse my ignorance but I`ve only been running my own forum for about a month so any help would be appreciated.
The sidebar is using the same style properties as the rest of the board. If you want to alter this, you can add the following code to "memberMap.css", which you'll find in the template edit section of your admin panel.
Code:
#mainWrapper div.sidebar {
    width: 300px;
}
Can try to set a relative width (percentage), but I think Google will freak out if you do.

The width is fine its the height I need to adjust. We would like the map to display at double height. Instead of seeing this shape:

--------------------
| |
--------------------

My users would prefer to see this shape:

--------------------
| |
| |
--------------------

Sorry if I`m being a bit thick ;)

Martin, It seems that the cause of my problems is the size of my site logo at the top of the page which was throwing the map "out of whack". Easy fix, I`ve resized the logo &, as we say round here, "The jobs a good`un!" (y)

Excellent add on. Would (& have) recommend.

I was going to tell you mine, Dean...and then realized I've messed mine up (I think you told me about this on Twitter, Martin, and then I never fixed it when I was back on a computer); any ideas as to what's up?

Server Error

json_encode(): Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. json_encode() in XenForo/ViewRenderer/Json.php at line 155
  3. XenForo_ViewRenderer_Json::jsonEncodeForOutput() in memberMap/Model/ViewMap.php at line 81
  4. memberMap_Model_ViewMap->formatMarkersForOutput() in memberMap/Model/ViewMap.php at line 48
  5. memberMap_Model_ViewMap->getMarkers() in memberMap/ControllerPublic/MemberMap.php at line 27
  6. memberMap_ControllerPublic_MemberMap->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  7. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  8. XenForo_FrontController->run() in C:/inetpub/wwwroot/voiceradio.us/index.php at line 13

I have just hard deleted a user as he was a spammer.

Unfortunately there is still this blue-colored pin showing the location of this deleted user at the member-map.

Would be great if deleted users would also getting deleted from the map.

Finally had a chance to join, thanks for the invite :)

Do you, as an admin, see more than what a regular user sees?

Specifically are there ways to add more information besides the users name?

No prob = glad to help.
And no - I doubt there's anything more the admin/mod usergroups see than registered users. I think that's why this mod is so very nice = its simplicity! It would be sweet if the "Add or Update Location" link would open in an overlay though, but besides that - it's perfect ... for our needs anyway.

I took a screencap of the page viewed as an Admin:

di-FTFJ.png

Is there a way we could let the map open in a popup where there is only the map? i have a huge header and my macbook users only see a tiny tiny map :)

Top Bottom