McRib is Back!

Fred Sherman

But do you really want to eat it?

The McRib is to pork what the McNugget is to chicken - no big surprise. Its a "boneless" rib. How the hell is that even possible? Boneless pigs? Maybe. See http://www.bonelesspigs.org/.

No, this is one of those things that you'd never eat once you know what is in it and how its made.

This little piggy is made from pig innards, like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach. Its ground up and mixed with the dregs blasted off the ping carcass with a high pressure hose. The resulting slurry is then compressed, dried and formed into the rib shape. Its then deep fried before being coated in a disgusting sauce to hide what it really is.

Then its put between the bun from hell, made using various chemicals and a flour-bleaching agent used most commonly in the manufacturing of foamed plastics like gym mats and the soles of shoes.

So eat up! The McRib is only back for a limited time!

Fred,

I think we found some more common ground...the idea of a McRib makes me shudder. Hard to see how you screw up wonderful pork products, but sure enough, take the scraps, treat them with enough chemicals, sodium, preservatives and sauce them with crap and you end up with inedible sludge. It should be a crime!

Remember though out history people have tried to waste nothing on an animal with the exception of some hunters not trying to subsist off of it. At one time it was considered a sin for something to have to die and not fully utilized. No I don't want a McRib but at least it cuts down on waste.

I am not hating on the parts used (though, I would not go for a lot of the "lower digestive system" parts, personally). So, yeah, the use of the whole animal is admirable...but its really the screwing with it with chemicals in order to make it palatable (in some sense) that I hate.

I cook a lot and try to show my son that buying fresh food is usually cheaper than fast food and almost always tastes better (not saying I never eat fast food, usually I end up doing so if I have few choices at the airport). What I object to is the hack job done on most food and then charging too much for it.

Remember though out history people have tried to waste nothing on an animal with the exception of some hunters not trying to subsist off of it. At one time it was considered a sin for something to have to die and not fully utilized. No I don't want a McRib but at least it cuts down on waste.
Yes, but it didn't have to be eaten. Look out how my Native American ancestors did it: dog food (yes, we kept dogs), bow strings, water bladders (the expansiveness of a stomach makes for an excellent water bladder), even as bait for fishing. Use does not imply eat.

I just had two of these things, before reading this thread. I'm one of the weird ones that liked them.

I will never eat another one as long as I live, and beyond.

TheMcRib.png

Top Bottom