Maximum attachment file size and limits per user group

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I have the maximum attachment file size set to 1024KB.

However, I would like to create some User Upgrades which allow for larger sizes; the larger the maximum file size, the more the upgrade will cost.

I can't currently see a way of setting limits per user group so would like to see this as a feature in the ACP.

I did a search for this but nothing came up so if anyone is aware of a previous suggestion, please say and I'll merge/close this thread.

Upvote 93
One thought: if there are quotas, there also needs to be a way for users to manage their own attachments. I don't think we have that, even without the quotas, do we?

Another bump from me. Attachments are essential nowadays and after the Photobucket debacle I’d made rather keep them on my server... its just without a quota your taking a risk on smaller VPS type systems.

One issue is that we run our forums on smaller, faster SSDs and don't have room for a lot of attachment space. Sure, we could add another pair of drives (one is a "mirror") but that is just more expense, more to go wrong, and we'd still have out-of-control attachment usage. As it stands, we now have a lot of stale images in our For Sale/Trader areas for expired ads, and no easy way to get rid of them. I think that banning GIF images completely would solve one of our problems--anyone posting photos would use JPG most likely.

BTW, something to consider for an "ideal" quota-based system (per user limit) would be to have the older images deleted automatically after a set amount of time, or as quota space is completely filled. Users would still be able to delete their own attachments to prevent that, but, they would need some sort of warning that their new uploads would bump out their old ones. (There are some instances where a person may post a DIY article, which would live on the forum for many years--we wouldn't want them to bump their own images off accidentally.)

I have just purchased a license and have done a few test imports.

After looking everywhere in the ACP for an upload quota for users (within a specified user group) relating to posts (vs. media gallery), I decided to look here and found this thread. Other than the recent July 27 post by @RisteD, it seems like it died in 2018. Is there any further light to be shed on this?

Thanks
Frank

I have been looking into this, this week. Is it the right place to ask about XFMG which seems to have a quota system. I imagine this feature is sort of available to forum owners who also have the XFMG addon? They could disable file attachment feature but keep media gallery attachment? I have no experience with XFMG so not sure how the entire thing works. I do see that I have 100MB quota on media gallery here but the toolbar here no longer seems to have the camera button which past posts indicate is designed to insert an existing image from my uploads...

On the other hand, I guess it is sort of annoying to first upload image in media gallery and then add that image to a post. Unless the camera button in post editor allows yout to add an image to media gallery as well...

Time to see if these features can be played with the demo install provided by XenForo.

+1, this is one of the easiest ways to differentiate between paid usergroups on a forum like ours. Really want to see this integral to the XF groups/permissions.

Will give the add-on a try.

+1, this is one of the easiest ways to differentiate between paid usergroups on a forum like ours. Really want to see this integral to the XF groups/permissions.

Will give the add-on a try.
It appears the addon is about files sizes and numbers per post. I was looking for quota (as in max number of attachments per user).

It appears the addon is about files sizes and numbers per post. I was looking for quota (as in max number of attachments per user).

It would be good to have quota per thread though, or even overall forum quota (as with media gallery)
That is what we've needed since day one with XF. And a way for users to manage their own attachments. I disabled attachments forum-wide after only a year since users were abusing the privilege; we only allow it in our "marketplace" area now for sellers. And even there, we really could use a way to clear out the dead wood.

Wish I could upvote this suggestion several times...

Please forgive me if I missed something. I think I read through most of the posts in this thread. Is there a way to limit the number of attachments uploaded per post by user group? I would like to limit the regular "Registered" user group to only uploading four attachments per. Then, I'd like to allow a paid user group to upload ten attachments per post. I know people can simply add more attachments in subsequent posts in the same thread, but most of my members don't think of doing that. I changed the sitewide upload limit per post from four to unlimited a few days ago and boy are they taking advantage of that. I think I may need to change it back.

Top Bottom