1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 max_allowed_packet Errors

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by mistypants, Dec 21, 2013.

1. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm upgrading my site to Xenforo 1.2 finally. I thought that, while I had the site down, I would run the long overdue process of updating the search index. When I tried running it I ran into an error with the max_allowed_packets. I'm waiting on the guy who owns the site to increase it, but when I try to do other things through the admincp I'm getting this error again (probably because the rebuild is incomplete).

Is there any way I can halt the rebuild until I can get the error fixed?

Edit: Here's the full error text:
    Code:
    Mysqli prepare error: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
        Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
        Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
        Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/MySqlFt.php at line 110
        XenForo_Search_SourceHandler_MySqlFt->_pushToIndex() in XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/MySqlFt.php at line 74
        XenForo_Search_SourceHandler_MySqlFt->insertIntoIndex() in XenForo/Search/Indexer.php at line 44
        XenForo_Search_Indexer->insertIntoIndex() in XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Post.php at line 61
        XenForo_Search_DataHandler_Post->_insertIntoIndex() in XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Abstract.php at line 238
        XenForo_Search_DataHandler_Abstract->insertIntoIndex() in XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Post.php at line 133
        XenForo_Search_DataHandler_Post->quickIndex() in XenForo/Search/DataHandler/Post.php at line 103
        XenForo_Search_DataHandler_Post->rebuildIndex() in XenForo/Deferred/SearchIndex.php at line 72
        XenForo_Deferred_SearchIndex->execute() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 243
        XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 369
        XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 322
        XenForo_Model_Deferred->run() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Tools.php at line 147
        XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Tools->actionRunDeferred() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 337
        XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
        XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/khvids/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. mistypants

Got the process to recognize itself as finished by running a small part (profile post comments) instead of the whole big thing, just until I can get that limit raised.

Amaury likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That's a very small value then -- we don't send queries over 500K bytes usually. MySQL's default is over 1MB (and I've never seen it be decreased before).

Raising it at least to the default value shouldn't be an issue.

4. mistypants

Got it increased, it seemed to be at 1MB. The process went by quickly after that. Thanks. :)