• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 Massive Spam attack

My forum was hit with a massive amount of spam over the past couple of days. Hundreds of users registered and posted 2-5,000 threads despite activating the reCapthca option instead of my regular questions and answers.

My problem is, when I click the spam cleaner to remove these posts it sits there for about 45 seconds and doesn't seem to do anything.

Yeah the request is timing out. After looking at some, a few of the users have over 7,000 posts. Is there an sql I could use to show users with more than 1000 posts and remove them and their content? If I can't remove all of this I'll be forced to shut the forum down

Jeremy

Removing content directly isn't recommended. If they are threads, have you attempted to batch delete them?

Jeremy

The batch update threads is a timed based batch system, so it shouldn't be timing out. There is a configuration variable you can use to set it to be lower than it currently is, but I don't have the name off hand right now (it should be in the manual).

It's not giving a timeout message, the little progress bar thing just stops and nothing gets removed.

Sorry, I misunderstood what Batch Update threads was. I was selecting them all and deleting, and tried clicking spam for the user but both stopped working like I said above.

The batch update seems to be working, it's at about 18,000 deleted now.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited: