Duplicate Mass Update Usergroup Permission

tafreehm

Instead of going through 10 usergroups individually and set permission for all. Why cannot we just do all that at once ? I remember Vbulletin had this ability.

Can we please consider this for 1.3. I love batch update users tho.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
User groups work differently in XenForo.
There is no need to set the same permissions in multiple groups.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/
ok that make sense.. but in order to fix that.. I am gonna have to go through all usergroup and setup each accordingly.

Just for complete clarification, can you solve this scenario ?

I have three usergroups. All members have primary usergroup set to "Registered"
User more than 100 posts have secondary user group "Active"
Users more than 300 posts have another secondary group "senior"

Now, I wanna have max time limit to edit a post set to 0 for registered, 10 mins for active and 20 mins for senior.

so now if user xyz is part of all three usergroups, how would system know which time limit rule to apply ?

ok that make sense.. but in order to fix that.. I am gonna have to go through all usergroup and setup each accordingly.

Just for complete clarification, can you solve this scenario ?

I have three usergroups. All members have primary usergroup set to "Registered"
User more than 100 posts have secondary user group "Active"
Users more than 300 posts have another secondary group "senior"

Now, I wanna have max time limit to edit a post set to 0 for registered, 10 mins for active and 20 mins for senior.

so now if user xyz is part of all three usergroups, how would system know which time limit rule to apply ?
The highest setting will apply for someone in all 3 groups ie 20mins.

The highest setting will apply for someone in all 3 groups ie 20mins.
so technically, highest value will take over ?
how about if I say Registered member can have font size 3 in signature, active 2 and senior 1. Logically, it should apply 1 to user with all three usergroups.

I think "Display Styling Priority" should take over in these condition rules as well.

so technically, highest value will take over ?
how about if I say Registered member can have font size 3 in signature, active 2 and senior 1. Logically, it should apply 1 to user with all three usergroups.

I think "Display Styling Priority" should take over in these condition rules as well.
The highest value always takes priority. So you should always set the lowest value for the registered group and higher for secondary groups.

For Display Styling Priority the highest value also applies.

You will most likely have to do what I did (also from VB) use the user promotions for newer groups - Then tier up to each user group, I have Senior, V.I.P and Gold - new users are set under user trophies until they reach 5 posts - keeps spam down. It works for me like this anyway.

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 5.32.18 PM.webp
Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 5.41.42 PM.webp
Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 5.29.16 PM.webp

Here is what my user groups look like, everyone is a "registered user" for permission purposes.

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 5.35.05 PM.webp

Last edited:
You will most likely have to do what I did (also from VB) use the user promotions for newer groups - Then tier up to each user group, I have Senior, V.I.P and Gold - new users are set under user trophies until they reach 5 posts - keeps spam down. It works for me like this anyway.

View attachment 64186
View attachment 64187
View attachment 64184

Here is what my user groups look like, everyone is a "registered user" for permission purposes.

View attachment 64183
I had this setup as well, but now I messed up everything. Some users are not even part of Registered Usergroup.

I will see if I can fix all this using batch user update option. It seems to be working pretty good.

There have been several suggestions about this same topic that I think are being ignored, misunderstood or downplayed. Xenforo is a great platform but this is probably the biggest loudest flaw.

Some of us run forums with a good number of members and many tiers of private forums and individuals or groups moving through those levels in sporadic ways. Not having a visual batch permissions editor across nodes and user groups is really simply stone age and it is not up to the technical standard of the rest of the platform. Please PLEASE fix this. it is unfair and unacceptable for admins to have to spend hours on just permissions clikcing page by page, node by node group by group. It is a massive hassle and time suck. Please take this seriously.

I don't want to have to change to another platform, but I cannot see this working in the long term as my site grows more. I would appreciate some response on this.

Top Bottom