1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Mass delete posts made before a particular date

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Parminder Singh Chahal, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Parminder Singh Chahal

Parminder Singh Chahal Active Member

I need to delete all the posts and threads made before a certain date on a forum and cant seem to find any option to be able to do that. Any ideas how to do this?

I converted the forum to xenforo on 12th of Aug and I want everything created before that date to be removed now so I can use the older content on old domain (I used a new domain for xenforo and redirected urls from old domain to new one) So there will now be two different forums.

Another problem I see is that what would happen to the posts that were made on threads that are older and will be deleted with this pruning? Any way to create a new thread automatically and let the new posts be there some how or if some one has a brighter idea?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Use the Batch Update Threads function.

3. Ark Royal

Ark Royal Active Member

I can see how Batch Update Threads can be used to delete threads created before a certain date but is there a way to do the same for posts?

For example I want to delete all posts made in a thread before 1st Jan 2016 but keep all posts made after that date. Is there anything built in to do this or would I need to resort to SQL?

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There isn't anything that would do the general concept of deleting posts programmatically -- and I absolutely wouldn't recommend doing it in SQL. But your particular example of removing posts in a thread can generally be accomplished via using inline moderation (though it will still require a fair amount of clicking).

Ark Royal likes this.
  5. Ark Royal

Ark Royal Active Member

It certainly would!

Are there any plans to have something better in 2.0?

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can make a suggestion, but I really can't see this being an expected usage/option.