As designed Mark Forums Read Doesn't Affect Posts Posted When Performing the Action

Amaury

As title.

I feel like this has been reported before and may have been marked as Not a Bug or As Designed, but I couldn't find anything doing a quick search.

Just so I have a fresh new batch in the morning, every night before I close my browser and go to bed, I mark all forums read. However, if a new thread or post is made after I click Mark Forums Read and bring up the overlay, when I confirm that I want to mark forums read, that new thread or post in unaffected and appears as a new post.

This is very much intentional. When you mark things read, you're roughly saying that you want to consider everything you could have seen at that point as read. If you couldn't have seen it, by virtue of you not reloading the page since then, it shouldn't be marked as read. I'd be rather annoyed if I missed something significant because it got posted after I loaded a page and it was silently marked as read.

If you think about it, it makes sense that it doesn't occur to posts made after the action has been instigated, to avoid unintentionally marking something as read.

If you think about it, it makes sense that it doesn't occur to posts made after the action has been instigated, to avoid unintentionally marking something as read.

Just to clarify as I may have had it wrong, is the action instigated when the Mark Forums Read overlay is brought up or when you confirm that you want to mark all forums read?

The semantics differ in a few different cases. The one in the navigation is based on when you've loaded the page; the one in "new posts" is actually based on when you ran the search. You can see the dates in the URL for each.

If you pay attention to the mark read link, it has a unix time stamp in it. Without looking at the code I suspect this is from when the page was loaded, which is how it knows what time to do the mark read on.

Top Bottom