Not a bug Manually approve registration if user shares IP used by a banned or rejected user in last:

beerForo

Affected version
This did not work for me.

Had to ban a user. They immediately re-signed up. They were not in approval queue. Clicking shared IPs revealed it was the same user.

How did you ban them exactly, just to be clear?

There's no reason this shouldn't work. Is it possible the second account was actually created after the first one was banned?

We see users in the approval queue daily who have shared IPs.

I will add this info in case it is relevant. I banned the second account, and then looked in the queue. Not there. Would the ban remove the queue entry, as well as, change status to Valid but banned? (not Awaiting Approval but banned)

Yes it would:

PHP:
if (
   $isBanned
   && $isChanged
   && $user->user_state == 'moderated'
   && !$this->end_date
)
{
   // User has been permanently banned while awaiting approval, so make them valid so they
   // don't appear on the approval list any longer. Don't use rejected as an unban would require
   // 2 steps then.
   $user->user_state = 'valid';
}

Best place to check is Admin > Logs > Spam trigger log.

They should have an entry in there if they were ever in the approval queue.

Thanks! I faced a similar issue today.

And indeed: as soon as an action is taken (Rejection) on a newly created account by a banned user/IP, then it is removed from the Approval queue. But it gets registered in the Moderator logs.

In our case, a Moderator took action, but did not notify us. No harm done, of course, but not knowing made us question if the process worked as intended since we didn't see the registration in the Approval queue.

So all good - it's working as intended! :)

Top Bottom