Managing the growing number of usergroups?

ArtG

Are there any smart ways to manage the ever growing number of usergroups?

One thing about Xenforo currently, is the large number of things that get tied to usergroups. This requires you to keep creating different usergroups for each new group, level, etc. Maybe there's another way of solving some of the things we, administrators, do often?

Anyway, has anyone come up with a good way to organize and manage the list of usergroups?

How many are we talking? If you've got so many usergroups they've become difficult to manage, maybe a rethink about how you're using them might help? Or may explain in a bit more detail why you have such a complex set-up and other members might be able to offer more efficient solutions based on their own configurations?

Well, going on about 20 at the moment.

I have usergroups for winners of the photo of the month, tank of the month, local aquarium clubs (can be many), supporters, sponsors, staff. The reason is that each of these groups gets a different user banner.

Is there a way to give a user banner without creating a user group?

Are there any smart ways to manage the ever growing number of usergroups?
I have found that numbering the group titles makes them appear in the order I want. Not sure it's particularly "smart" but it works for me as many groups are based on post count so I can show in order of added privileges.

Well, going on about 20 at the moment.

I have usergroups for winners of the photo of the month, tank of the month, local aquarium clubs (can be many), supporters, sponsors, staff. The reason is that each of these groups gets a different user banner.

Is there a way to give a user banner without creating a user group?
That's a lot of usergroups.

You could try giving out badges instead.

There are plenty of add-ons and resources that you could use instead of usergroups.

The biggest issue I have with user groups in Xenforo is that there's no straightfroward way to let users join and leave them on their own. In phpBB there's a very good way for this (for example, perhaps you run a car forum maybe you have a user group for people who have Hyundai cars or Ford cars, and you want to let users join these groups on their own). In Xenforo you have to do everything unless it's triggered by a promotion or an account upgrade. If there was a page for joining and leaving certain groups it would make usergroups far less difficult to manage even when you have a large number of them.

The biggest issue I have with user groups in Xenforo is that there's no straightfroward way to let users join and leave them on their own. In phpBB there's a very good way for this (for example, perhaps you run a car forum maybe you have a user group for people who have Hyundai cars or Ford cars, and you want to let users join these groups on their own). In Xenforo you have to do everything unless it's triggered by a promotion or an account upgrade. If there was a page for joining and leaving certain groups it would make usergroups far less difficult to manage even when you have a large number of them.
However there is a social groups addon that achieves this. I know it's not core but it works.

Top Bottom