Managing Sites That Repeatedly Post Spam

Steve Freides

I use a User Promotion to monitor every new user's first post - works great. We have a handful of new users each day, guesstimate 5-10.

I have noticed that one site in particular is a repeat offender - the wording is always different, but the links go back to the same site, so I'm interested in considering my management options. Here's what I'm thinking:

An automated solution that takes any first post containing this site as a URL, removes the post and bans the user. We are using Spam Cleaner Everywhere - something like that, except that I wouldn't even have to bother and flag the user as spam, it would happen automatically.

I don't know what constitutes a good way to manage this - your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated. My guess is that, for the handful of new users I have to deal with every day, I just continue to deal with it manually, but I'd like to know if there's a better solution out there - we all have better things to do. :)

The spamming site is stronge health care dot com, complete with the "e" in the word "stronge." I mention it to ask if others have a similar problem. Our web site is strong first dot com so perhaps they think we're a desirable audience.

Thanks very much in advance.

-S-

This is definitely _not_ working.

Any suggestions? We've tried everything under the sun we can think of by way of formatting the text we put in there.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Can't you use the Words to Censor option to replace his link text? So when he posts about his URL, it appears as asterisks or whatever you replace it with?

I read that before - I can see that it would work, but I don't understand why putting the name of a web site, as I did, doesn't work.

I just tried changing the message count to check from 5 to 100 - maybe it's related to that somehow.

I can see the validity of not allowing a link in a new member's post - I guess that's OK. But I can't see how, if my adding

strongehealthcare

doesn't block a URL that contains that in a new user's first post, how it would work with anything else, either.

Perhaps I'm not explaining our procedure clearly - we have a user promotion in place so that I approve every first post; what I'm trying to accomplish is to _not_ see any first posts with strongehealthcare in them - I just want those users banned. Is it possible that my user promotion is getting in and grabbing the message and putting it in the moderation queue _before_ the spam management word trap? That would, I think, explain the behavior I'm seeing.

Thanks for your help.

-S-

Can't you use the Words to Censor option to replace his link text? So when he posts about his URL, it appears as asterisks or whatever you replace it with?
I want the user permanently and immediately banned with further action required on my part.

On average, I'd say I get one new signup every day from these people.

Thanks.

-S-

Top Bottom