1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Managing Sites That Repeatedly Post Spam

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Steve Freides, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Active Member

I use a User Promotion to monitor every new user's first post - works great. We have a handful of new users each day, guesstimate 5-10.

I have noticed that one site in particular is a repeat offender - the wording is always different, but the links go back to the same site, so I'm interested in considering my management options. Here's what I'm thinking:

An automated solution that takes any first post containing this site as a URL, removes the post and bans the user. We are using Spam Cleaner Everywhere - something like that, except that I wouldn't even have to bother and flag the user as spam, it would happen automatically.

I don't know what constitutes a good way to manage this - your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated. My guess is that, for the handful of new users I have to deal with every day, I just continue to deal with it manually, but I'd like to know if there's a better solution out there - we all have better things to do. :)

The spamming site is stronge health care dot com, complete with the "e" in the word "stronge." I mention it to ask if others have a similar problem. Our web site is strong first dot com so perhaps they think we're a desirable audience.

Thanks very much in advance.

-S-

2. Steve Freides

ACP -> Options -> Spam Management

Spam Phrases, Reject

-S-

3. Steve Freides

This is definitely _not_ working.

Any suggestions? We've tried everything under the sun we can think of by way of formatting the text we put in there.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

4. StarArmy

StarArmy Active Member

Can't you use the Words to Censor option to replace his link text? So when he posts about his URL, it appears as asterisks or whatever you replace it with?

5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

6. Steve Freides

I read that before - I can see that it would work, but I don't understand why putting the name of a web site, as I did, doesn't work.

I just tried changing the message count to check from 5 to 100 - maybe it's related to that somehow.

I can see the validity of not allowing a link in a new member's post - I guess that's OK. But I can't see how, if my adding

strongehealthcare

doesn't block a URL that contains that in a new user's first post, how it would work with anything else, either.

Perhaps I'm not explaining our procedure clearly - we have a user promotion in place so that I approve every first post; what I'm trying to accomplish is to _not_ see any first posts with strongehealthcare in them - I just want those users banned. Is it possible that my user promotion is getting in and grabbing the message and putting it in the moderation queue _before_ the spam management word trap? That would, I think, explain the behavior I'm seeing.

Thanks for your help.

-S-

7. Steve Freides

I want the user permanently and immediately banned with further action required on my part.

On average, I'd say I get one new signup every day from these people.

Thanks.

-S-