Making notifications continue

Morgain

How do I disable the XF block that stops sending notifications?
We need it so if you're Watching a thread you just go on getting the notifications whether you visit or not.

Many of my members are too busy to visit more than once week. They rely on the emails to keep up.
It has caused real problems when they miss messages about important meetings.

How do I disable the XF block that stops sending notifications?
We need it so if you're Watching a thread you just go on getting the notifications whether you visit or not.

Many of my members are too busy to visit more than once week. They rely on the emails to keep up.
It has caused real problems when they miss messages about important meetings.
In Admin CP Options, go to 'Thread, Discussions and Conversations' and edit the option Read Marking Data Lifetime (Days). You should be able to set it as zero.

As I'm sure you can guess, the downside is that this will cause all threads to always appears as read on your site.

Thanks for the tip on. It was already set to 30 days so I made it 90. That's the same as my searches all recent posts.

As you know I'm quite dim, being only a woman. So I didn't connect the setting for the Read cutoff with notifications going out.
These are members who do visit about every week so I don't get why they were not getting notifications. Still maybe iit'll be better now.

Eh?

You should be able to set it as zero.
Thanks for the tip on. It was already set to 30 days so I made it 90.

As you know I'm not good at explaining, being a man. Too busy thinking about sex and going out hunting.

So, hopefully this will make sense...

If you set Read Marking Days to 30 then, after 30 days, posts will be marked as read and, if replied to, users will get another email. So, they will get, at most, 1 email every 30 days.

If you set Read Marking Days to 90 then, after 90 days, posts will be marked as read and, if replied to, users will get another email. So, they will get, at most, 1 email every 90 days. In other words, they will get LESS emails.

If you set Read Marking Days to 0 then posts will always be marked as read and, if replied to, users will get another email. So, they will get a **** load of emails.

Now, where did I leave my spear...?

Oh how wonderful to have a big strong clever man in charge SWOON.

It defaults to 1 day unfortunately.
Does this mean that stuff won't show as Unread on What's New?

What I want is for my members to get notifications on any subscribed thread regardless of whether they visit or not.
Then when they visit most of them use the Alerts or my LATEST! links (which is All Recent Message ) so those should show them the recent stuff as Unread. Like the last month.

It won't send them too many messages. I have micro boards of 100 members or so. Each member is unlikely to get more than 10 notifications a week - and we do require actively involved members.
But then when they visit Alerts and Unread on the All Recent Message list should indicate the last week or two (the last month? for the less frequent visitors)

http://housemorgain.co.uk/circle/find-new/threads?recent=1

:) I think I got what I want thanks to Waindigo's help.

I don't understand the make read feature. Does anyone use the make all forums read? I never got what this was for.

If you click "Mark all Read" any threads on the board which were displaying as Unread, now switch to Read.

If you have checked all you want on Whats New? or your email notifications, or both, on most boards that leaves a lot of Unread threads still showing on Whats New. These are threads that do not interest you. So using "Mark all Read" will clear them.
It's too weak though. I very much hope that the next version of XF will include a user option to Hide threads from What's New by a quick checkbox click down the page. Or even Hide a whole forum from it.
For example if you have created your own Style, or just want to use XF default, all the threads about Styles are (for you) irrelevant bloat. But every time you check What's New the page is clogged with such irrelevancies (from your point of view). Makes it much slower and less pleasant than it shouold be.
There are addons for this but it's not my small boards that need them. It's bigger ones - and that means this one. It's my major discomfort with default XF.

Top Bottom