Thanks yes a good start.
Before I started using XenForo, I was much like you, Morgain.
Immensely encouraging Chris as you're one of the really good ones.
I will check out the link you gave as Lawrence's tutorial already has me boggled.
First advice I would offer....
You need to know what you want to make first...otherwise you are flying blind trying to catch a bearing.
Good advice ---- Oh lots of things!
The one I real.ly NEED is to add a short list of users to a forum, then members using the forum can select one from a list to receive notification (textboxes). But if not selected you don't get notified even if you are on that thread already.
(I had this on another type of forum software and it was great for mod support work)
It might be too ambitious as a start.
But I guess breaking it down I need to
- add option to forum permissions;
- this disables the general notifications function ie if you Reply you DO NOT automatically get notified.
- admin form to select users to add to this forum who CAN be notified;
- form includes a label for text describing each user to aid selection on a post.
- create function that this forum option notifies one or more of the listed users;
- form which adds to the post displays the list of user recipients with textboxes.
Is this too ambitious for a starter project? (it's what I urgently need)
and if possible for me, can you suggest a better worklist? that is sequence of task