1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make XF faster? Google Page Speed..

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Claudio, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Sprites can cause issues to some people who want to customise their XenForo.
    Forsaken likes this.
  3. Floris

Floris Guest

XenForo uses Sprites in 1.1
  4. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

90/100 is a superb effort, especially for a beta where parts are still moving.

Compare other forum sites
    91/100 - Vanilla
    63/100 - SMF
    59/100 - IPS
    51/100 - vBulletin
    44/100 - phpBB
    bambua and Floris like this.
  5. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

i just wanted to help, for me, XF is the most faster forum software i´ve ever seen
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

The biggest part of the Page Speed suggestions there is to Leverage Browser Caching... which really is something you should be doing at your server level, not the application level.

I use this (in Apache config) for serving static content:

<FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=5184000, public"
    It's assuming of course you have the Header module enabled for Apache. Essentially all that does is instruct the user's web browser to not even bother checking if the file/page has changed until 60 days from now for files with the listed extensions.
    jHony and Marcus like this.
  7. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

8. James

James Well-Known Member

9. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I use a second domain for images and just change the URL in the style settings. A sort of home-grown mini-CDN :)
  10. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

11. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

12. Floris

Floris Guest

jQuery is via CDN, config.php supports CDN, and certain elements are stored in the file system for better caching option, and styles are using css more than images. While images can easily be pointed to cdn.* urls, rather than relative path. Other things such as js and css are minified. Search queries are cached, there's PHP code being used in a smart way to improve caching, and options to tell xenforo that caching is enabled, stuff like that all helps bigger boards get the most out of it by offloading to remote servers, browser cache, and internal memory. And general i/o
  13. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

An easy way to speed up the delivery of static images in XF is to create a subdomain - say, img.yourdomain.com that points to the same physical location as your XF install.

Change the image URL in the ACP settings to include your new subdomain (http://img.yourdomain.com) - and then browsers can download images at the sane time as other content.

Shaun :D