Duplicate  Madness Edits on Xeforo

mauzao9

Hello everyone ...
This is an suggestion for improve the Moderation, I will give an example of our forum.

In the big forum where I'm moderator, sometimes situations come that, we moderators can't control.

I'm talking about the issues of posts edits, for example:
- An user insult another one posting a topic or replying one, and before someone report or moderation see this post / topic ... The user edits!

After receiving complaints or reports, we can't check!

Because you can't see the thread or post has been edited, there is no log of it, and moderation is lost about it and some users laughing in our faces because we have no evidence.

Up until now we try to people don't know about this, because malicious users would use this to their advantage. We dont' want to disable edit option because it's important when there are mistakes or problems with a post!

Why Xenforo don't have a log of edits or a record that the post / topic has been edited?
What to do in these situations?

Max

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Haven't you set an edit time in your settings? It's good practice to allow say 5-10 mins for correcting spelling but no more than that.

XenForo does not have any logs of what people have edited in their posts which is a shame.

However I should point out that neither does vBulletin for example, if members edit their posts within their permitted time.

If things are getting out of hand in your forum you need to remove the option to edit completely until people get the message.

Haven't you set an edit time in your settings? It's good practice to allow say 5-10 mins for correcting spelling but no more than that.

XenForo does not have any logs of what people have edited in their posts which is a shame.

However I should point out that neither does vBulletin for example, if members edit their posts within their permitted time.

If things are getting out of hand in your forum you need to remove the option to edit completely until people get the message.
Edit time wont help alot you know... What it would exist it's an record that post was been edited or an log...
And log would be awesome because Moderators would see it and there catch that "trolls".

The community is fine, but we all know that exist "trolls" and they always looking for something to make mess. :rolleyes:

I understand what you mean, all I'm trying to say is that although XenForo does not currently have edit history, on other platforms like vBulletin, it wouldn't be any different for those edits made just after the original posting.

You have to consider that having a comprehensive edit history of EVERY single edit made by a user - including a few minutes after posting to correct a mistake - would create a HUGE amount of additional bloat and data. That's probably why this is not a standard feature.

What I would like to see however is a log of edits made after the user edit limit, for example edits made by moderators. That does need to be logged.

The only way you can stop people from writing flames then removing them almost straight away, is to remove the facility to edit completely.

I understand what you mean, all I'm trying to say is that although XenForo does not currently have edit history, on other platforms like vBulletin, it wouldn't be any different for those edits made just after the original posting.

You have to consider that having a comprehensive edit history of EVERY single edit made by a user - including a few minutes after posting to correct a mistake - would create a HUGE amount of additional bloat and data. That's probably why this is not a standard feature.

What I would like to see however is a log of edits made after the user edit limit, for example edits made by moderators. That does need to be logged.

The only way you can stop people from writing flames then removing them almost straight away, is to remove the facility to edit completely.
I don't wanna block the Edits, people sometimes do events, etc... And we ask them to edit the topic and do not create a new one, because it would flood. The same with posts, edit instead reply again if you need to say anything more.
About the log, would not be such an Huge thing if it cleans up after X time, about 7 days or even less.
Or even, an reason to edit, like other softwares, they got that information that "Post edited last time in X. Motive: X"
That at least it's gona say us that is not original post, and if there is an report after edit, we can check the times when it was edited. Untill now we don't know if there was edited or no.
Don't you agree?

Top Bottom