Lower Middle Class Forum Owners

I consider myself Lower Middle Class. Yesterday when I was at the gas station I noticed that no candy bars were under a dollar. No chocolate. Only gum. I couldn't believe it. Inflation is driving me nuts. Takes me $60 to fill up my 350Z. A couple years ago it only took me $12 to fill up my last car. When I see a forum app like Tapatalk charge people $800 just to remove branding I get so disgusted that it makes me want to uninstall it. I won't though.

My first thought is that they are smoking crack.

"Class" of the buyers aside, I see a huge entry to market barrier in their pricing and, unless I was sure that it would convert to a multiple of the investment, they are stupid to price this way. However, I know nothing about their sales or business model.

My second thought is that I would not even consider it. They would need to either demonstrate somehow the "value" (in terms of product and, more importantly, the return on investment) of their product. But, if that is how they opened their "pitch," my inclination would be to dismiss the offer out of hand.

I could be wrong about all of this, but I doubt it. Seems to me that if you were in a position to pay the premium, you would probably be in the position to hire out and code an "in house" solution.

Just my .2 cents.

At the moment we pay €1.66 per liter, which is around €6.28 per gallon. And €6.28 is a little over $8. Those are pretty high prices for driving a Volkswagen.

My first thought is that they are smoking crack.

"Class" of the buyers aside, I see a huge entry to market barrier in their pricing and, unless I was sure that it would convert to a multiple of the investment, they are stupid to price this way. However, I know nothing about their sales or business model.

My second thought is that I would not even consider it. They would need to either demonstrate somehow the "value" (in terms of product and, more importantly, the return on investment) of their product. But, if that is how they opened their "pitch," my inclination would be to dismiss the offer out of hand.

I could be wrong about all of this, but I doubt it. Seems to me that if you were in a position to pay the premium, you would probably be in the position to hire out and code an "in house" solution.

Just my .2 cents.
Well I titled that way because I think there are some rich members on here who probably wouldn't be phased by the price. The price is so outrageous though, it made my eyes bug out by the ludicrousness of it. It only costs $250 for Branding Removal for Xenforo forum software which in my opinion, xenforo by itself has a worth far greater than tapatalk which is just an mobile app. and yeah I would rather hire someone than pay $800 for Branding Removal.

At the moment we pay €1.66 per liter, which is around €6.28 per gallon. And €6.28 is a little over $8. Those are pretty high prices for driving a Volkswagen.
Oh my Lord. That's ridiculous. How much was gas there 5 or 10 years ago?

Well I titled that way because I think there are some rich members on here who probably wouldn't be phased by the price. The price is so outrageous though, it made my eyes bug out by the ludicrousness of it. It only costs $250 for Branding Removal for Xenforo forum software which in my opinion, xenforo by itself has a worth far greater than tapatalk which is just an mobile app. and yeah I would rather hire someone than pay $800 for Branding Removal.

Yeah, I think that is a bit of the problem with pricing for this market.

First, it is definitely a "niche" market. It is not like (at least today) that every, Joe, Jill, and Fido, are forum owners. So, I think, immediately, you have a segmented market. There might be some business buyers who would jump on their product just for convenience/ease of use. But, my sense is that volume in this business would be small business purchasers/hobbyists, who would be turned off by the pricing.

But, I think for a lot of purchasers, this might be a "vanity" purchase (i.e., the cost is not as important as the result). However, for these folks, the price probably doesn't matter. For everyone else, though, I think they would need to demonstrate some value/return on investment. The pricing suggests to me a big FU to most customers. In some markets, this would make sense (maybe high end art, fine wines, etc.). But in the software market, unless they had some huge portion of business segment, this strikes me as a stupid pricing model. But, hey, the market bears what it bears....maybe they have figured out something that is not apparent and are making money hand over fist. If so, good for them. But, with those prices, they are not even in the running or consideration by me.

Petrol costs around £1.35 a litre I think. We have a diesel car, so I don't really look at petrol prices. (And thanks for joining :) )

Yeah, I think that is a bit of the problem with pricing for this market.

First, it is definitely a "niche" market. It is not like (at least today) that every, Joe, Jill, and Fido, are forum owners. So, I think, immediately, you have a segmented market. There might be some business buyers who would jump on their product just for convenience/ease of use. But, my sense is that volume in this business would be small business purchasers/hobbyists, who would be turned off by the pricing.

But, I think for a lot of purchasers, this might be a "vanity" purchase (i.e., the cost is not as important as the result). However, for these folks, the price probably doesn't matter. For everyone else, though, I think they would need to demonstrate some value/return on investment. The pricing suggests to me a big FU to most customers. In some markets, this would make sense (maybe high end art, fine wines, etc.). But in the software market, unless they had some huge portion of business segment, this strikes me as a stupid pricing model. But, hey, the market bears what it bears....maybe they have figured out something that is not apparent and are making money hand over fist. If so, good for them. But, with those prices, they are not even in the running or consideration by me.
It really is a big FU. I could buy a used car for that price.

It really is a big FU. I could buy a used car for that price.
LOL. Right! I think they may actually be smoking crack, but good on them if they can sell enough at that price point to make their business work. Seems insane the pricing, but I have to think they are getting some clients. Good for them if they can make that work. But this guy would not even consider it.

LOL. Right! I think they may actually be smoking crack, but good on them if they can sell enough at that price point to make their business work. Seems insane the pricing, but I have to think they are getting some clients. Good for them if they can make that work. But this guy would not even consider it.
The premium price is truly surrounded by the aroma of cocaine. I could probably buy an airplane in South America for that price.

What's the first thought that goes through your mind when you see something expensive like Tapatalk's Branding Removal for instance? http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php

Basic
$799
Premium
$3,499
Not worth the value.

So what if my users see the TapaTalk copyrights.

Think of this ways... If I could get a Nike shoe for free, but could pay to remove the logo.... I'd opt to keep the logo.

Another way to look at it.... I walk into SEARS or JP Penny or even Walmart.... I use their gift registry, but the computer says DELL. Most don't even notice and most do not even care. And the majority will never use it anyways.

The same applies to TapaTalk.

My thought is that it's not for anyone running their forum as a hobby. If you're running a busy forum that makes a profit (after $500 a month server costs, etc) then its a reasonable price.

If you're not making that kind of money then use the free option.

Top Bottom