Lots of Sub-Boards

DregondRahl

A customer is considering getting XenForo for a large gaming board. But he has aloot of sub-boards, like 2000 Sub-boards for each game to be discussed. The question is how will it impact performance ? Since from what i remember from the coding, it queries all the boards and then hydrates the mainpage ones with the latest sub-board last-post information.

I had a problem when I added around 1300 forums, the forum node page almost crashes, plus it'll add around 600kb (1.* seconds added to your page load) to your homepage if you're hosting all the sub-forums there. They need to implement my suggestion HERE to resolve the forum tree issue, but I don't think they're interested in that right now which is a shame.

If you don't show subforums on forum_list template (this is the xenforo start page listing all forums), you have a very noticeably speed improvement (I bet it is multiple times faster). The template you have to edit is forum_node_2 (or something that sounds like it :)).

Hiding the sub-boards won't matter, since it will still load all the boards, to hydrate the last post in a forum. Which is the problem, i think.

Code:
SELECT *
FROM xf_node
WHERE display_in_list = 1
ORDER BY lft ASC

Hiding the sub-boards won't matter, since it will still load all the boards, to hydrate the last post in a forum. Which is the problem, i think.

Code:
SELECT *
FROM xf_node
WHERE display_in_list = 1
ORDER BY lft ASC

#1) Reading a heavily truncated "Last Post" title while browsing a forum is of almost no benefit.
#2) The fact that it slows things down makes "Last post" a major liability.
#3) If you have that many subforums you should ditch the wasted space from Last Post listing and use it to list the subforums !!!!!!

Reason: 3 Last Post list: 0.

The problem is Xenforo runs that query to load the mainpage. Which is all the forums and nodes, and that is the problem im talking about. I have no idea what your talking about regarding last post list, as I am talking about how Xenforo would handle retrieving 2000 records to load the main page and show the latest last post in its parent forum. I'm not trying to add a feature or anything, everyone knows that you need to hydrate and compare all the sub-forum last posts to decide the parent's last post, and to do that you need to get all the forums

I think most forum software (except for really high end - aka $$$) packages would have an issue with 2k forums.

I've always felt this is more of a problem with how the owner wants to display the information. What is the real goal? No one realistcaly will go through 2k forums for new posts etc. My usual suggestion is to use thread prefixes, which will be available in xenforo in 1.1.

Top Bottom