Looking to migrate from Simple Machines to Xenforo

Plantje

I currently have a forum running on Simple Machines Forums which is basically rubbish...

I have two websites: www.vliegvissers.com and www.vliegvissers.nl. The .nl one I only use for testing purposes and for forwarding to the .com one.

In my checks I noticed that some core PHP functions are disabled in php.ini. How can I update those settings? My host is one.com (for whatever that's worth...)

Any other suggestions? Can I run Simple Machines Forums and Xenforo on one database? So, I can have them run alongside for a while?

In my checks I noticed that some core PHP functions are disabled in php.ini. How can I update those settings? My host is one.com (for whatever that's worth...)
Your host will be able to assist with that, if you aren't sure how to do it.

Can I run Simple Machines Forums and Xenforo on one database? So, I can have them run alongside for a while?
XF and SMF can be on the same server and use the same root domain -- e.g. example.com and example.com/xf -- but they need separate databases.

Is there a particular reason for that? Is there anything that actually prevents running on the same database?
Are you thinking same database or same db server instance here? My live and dev are separate databases but reside on the same server instance on my shared hosting. You need, or should have, a separate database for each site, esp. since they are different programs, but they could reside on the same server or instance.

Are you thinking same database or same db server instance here? My live and dev are separate databases but reside on the same server instance on my shared hosting. You need, or should have, a separate database for each site, esp. since they are different programs, but they could reside on the same server or instance.
The same database. All sites should always be on separate databases, ideally completely separate servers. Was just pointing out that technically they can be on the same database, which for those on basic shared hosting packages where you might only have access to 1 database from the host, it's not a deal breaker to configure the way the OP asked.

I currently have a forum running on Simple Machines Forums which is basically rubbish...
Nah, I wouldn't call SMF rubbish. Used it for years, it is fast, clean and secure, but it is lacking modern features and feels outdated.
Don't forget, it is free.

So, I can have them run alongside for a while?
That is not possible.
The way it works is something like this:
  1. Copy your live SMF site to a test site.
  2. Convert this test site to Xenforo using the importers.
  3. Play with it, you may need to do this multiple times before everything works.
  4. Make notes of all the steps needed to do the import
  5. Take extra care of PM's. The system SMF uses is different from XF. This is not a 1:1 copy and will look (very) different.
  6. Once you are comfortable with the import, do the real thing on your live site.

Top Bottom