I am a long time user of vbulletin and I am on the move, looking for new forum software for 4+ communities! I've had chance to play around XF demo and so far it is good... do have some questions though:
- I am using vbseo (vBscam) on all of the vb forums that I run, how does XF deal with that and make sure users with old URLs end up at new?
- Why does XF look and feel like phpbb and something I used 13 or 14 years ago? I know, it has advanced functionality but it looks so like those opensource, free forum softwares.
- What is the guarantee that XenForo will not end up with same fate as jelsoft.... get bought out by big belly corporation and it begins all over again?
- How does XF deal with forums which are in the ROOT of the domain? like one of my sites has vB installed at www.domain.com, is there any documentation out there which details migration for that?
- Why is the topicID or forumID ending with a dot? http://www.domain.com/forums/this-is-thread-title-09393/< something like? Having forum name in the URL would be nice but not requirement!
- I see a lot of XF forums have "threads" or "forums" in the URL, why? Anyway to 'fix' this or not use it?
- Why on God's green earth "enhanced" search a separate purchase? It pretty much puts XF at much higher cost than IPB!
- What about integration with wordpress? Why do all of the forum software ignore CMS like wordpress, drupal? I know there are plugins and mods, but nothing official. It would serve you better to work on a product which 90% of the internet users use, familiarize with than to create your own (in case of IP.Content) and waste all those resources developing it when no one cares about it. Users really need a solid wordpress integration with their forums.
- Gallery: Does it support import from photopost (looking to import 1000+ categories and 150K+ pictures)? If import is supported, how does it handle the URLs from photopost?
- Is the gallery just a tag along product or something which will grow and become challenger to other gallery scripts? Right now, it feels old and like copperminegallery... we don't need that.
I think modern and popular forum softwares like XF should learn from wordpress and implement flexbility in how users want to do their URLs.... right now, this is really big issue for me. I don't want to switch but I have to and all the work over the years, seems like a waste, seems like starting from zero again. Why? Because someone thought it would be nice to reinvent the wheel and mess with the URLs... just keep it simple guys.