Looking forward now to 1.1

And if it is Jan 2012, people would be justified in being annoyed.

Have we had any indication/hint/anything to suggest that the "summer" deadline will be missed?

I always took it to mean sometime between the mid June and mid-September and nothing I've seen has suggested that it'll be delayed beyond that...

Floris what your reply seems to be saying is this. We can all get excited about 1.1 and it is perfectly fine for you to throw cold water over this because that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But if anyone does the same to you, it's not acceptable and is trolling. Great!
I never said you can't get excited, my opinion shared was that about complaining or saying 'it should be out now, my life depends on it' kinda stuff .. while it's clear it was not going to be out just because 1.0.4 was released, or because a week has passed since 1.0.4. Disagreeing with my opinion is one thing, calling me names is another. But whatever, it's not worth going back and forth over. It won't release xf any faster than when it's ready, be it this summer, tomorrow morning, or Thanksgiving.

I never said you can't get excited, my opinion shared was that about complaining or saying 'it should be out now, my life depends on it' kinda stuff .. while it's clear it was not going to be out just because 1.0.4 was released, or because a week has passed since 1.0.4. Disagreeing with my opinion is one thing, calling me names is another. But whatever, it's not worth going back and forth over. It won't release xf any faster than when it's ready, be it this summer, tomorrow morning, or Thanksgiving.

Did anyone say their life depends on it, or anything similar to that? Whenever people know something new and better is coming out, they always want it faster that's human nature. Some people are not that excited about it, while some shout and go crazy. It's same with anything, may it be games, movies, books etc.

You see some complaining about things to come out 'faster' almost everywhere ^^ especially when its better and has more features etc. Some people (including me) are looking forward to it but aren't saying "release it this instant!", while others are a bit on the impatient side. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, you can't force your opinions on them (not saying you are).

I don't care if they release one feature or only one bug fix every release(to get to xF 10.0 quickly :)), I always get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I see the XenForo account online, and always jump 10 feet in the air when I see it posted a new release :D, anyone else feel the same? I hope I'm not alone...

It allows members to add a prefix to the thread title, instead of manually typing e.g. [Not a Bug], [Fixed], etc.
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resolved-bug-reports.13/

It is used quite widely in trading forums - For Sale, Wanted, etc.

This is sometimes preferable to having individual sub forums.

It also allows for styling, etc.

will there be a user-rating included, as you are saying that "Thread Prefixes" are widely used in trading-forums?
Seems like a good combination with the Resource-Manager's rating of users or products or trades....

yeah, I would like to set-up a trading forum, so am wondering what else is needed besides the Forum-prefixes and the resources-manager?

i already use this heavily in a custom plugin on xenfans

Contact Us ends up as a thread in a private forum, where it's basically a ticket. Checking a box as super admin changes the title to a certain format, with open/close and assigned status, together with marking the thread as a public, user, guest or staff prefix for better archiving and sorting. And starts a timer. This allows us to create our own threads, user threads, guests mailing in, and what not. And the team has a clear overview what is private, per user, or is open/closed, pending (and which state).

The flexible timer system allows me to mark a thread as say expired, stalled, done/completed, or cancelled, alongside a few others. Giving it either a grace period (for stalled for example) or 'auto archive within 24 hours, allowing team members to read, or go 'oh wait, but..' Since it's all kinda 'passive' we have control over it. Making managing a site, the incoming email and requests, and contacting users + keeping track of it (and auto archiving everything that's sorted, expired, cancelled or complete) - very easyyyyyy.

Thread prefixes, tagging, etc, it's not just for 'want to buy/sell' kinda sites, it helps in project management as well.

Or it could simply be used to mark an announcement as [Newsletter] (and making it very easy to have a tab in the header called "newsletters" which is the search result page for newsletters).

I can think of many examples that are complex, intensive, making life easier, etc .. but it's the subtle use in a situation where it makes sense .. where this feature will make sense.

having an auto forum called 'all sorts of cars' and forcing users to mark their threads as 'ferrari' or 'volvo', .. probably not the best idea. People tend to confuse a thread prefix's function with 'content tagging' of a discussion (and posts therein).

I know thread prefixing as we use it on xenfans has helped me discontinue having to use the project manager, and helped the staff get a clear overview of what's going on and what's pending to do. And has improved teamwork and communication without creating extra work (besides me as super admin following up on threads and clicking the button telling the system what to do with the thread).

Having simple thread prefixes in xenforo will allow me to probably cut this custom plugin's code by 50%, not to mention if it comes with improved permissions.

Looking forward to it in 1.1, whenever it's ready to be released.

many thanks Floris!
I am still not quite understanding what your "custom plugin" you are describing is actually doing? Do you have some kind of feature list or is it possible to test it to see how it works?
And how would this benefit a trading forum?

Appreciate your help!

trading forums are tough btw, i know xenfans can't be compared to a trading forum, but we do have services, products and marketplace, it happens on the site.

having a good control of what you want out of things is important, thread prefixes help, and so does proper management of the content and feedback from users that you will get.

be ready for complaints, scams, fake trades and other malicious things that disrupt the feel-good vibe that a community should have.

The plugin is exclusive for xenfans - sorry.

Let's go through a situation, hopefully better explaining it.

You go to our site and click on 'contact us' with a question. (or perhaps you send a private msg, or email us)
A thread in a private staff forum is created with the title. At which point it shows as new content as usual.
As super-admin I can then click a button to inline prefix it with [Staff] or [Spam] or [User] This helps the auto archive feature that listens particularly for that forum to better process it in the future. A timer is now also started (so to speak). Within reasonable amount of time [Staff] or [User] prefixed threads are waiting for a team member to follow up, for example, your question could be 'can my username be changed?' or 'can you help me install xenforo?'
staff can reply, we can discuss the question internally, before answering the user via a private msg, or an email. I can show a screenshot. When a response is added, the title is edited by me usually to reflect the status of the ticket. If no response is added after a certain state, and time, it gets updated with 'Marked as stalled', or later even Expired. A manual [mark as 24h] to archive it within 24 hours is still required to avoid mistakes or 'lazy staff (ok, lets say staff away).

Thread prefix (and postfix) comes in to better search, sort, organize and handle items in the project management controller that's lying on top of xenforo.

the items within [brackets] are the pre/post fix thread_prefix thingy ..
If only 1.1 comes with prefix, that's fine, whatever implementation it might be, it helps me run it native - ragtek's contact us to threads plugin can be used by everybody. Having extra permissions in 1.1 to allow threads to be more like tickets (user can hopefully read own thread, but not others permission (PLZ KIER/MIKE) would mean I could basically do without this custom plugin and go back to basics.

Thread looks normal, thread pre/postfix added to the title (changed on the fly when needed)
xenfans_pmc.webp

Inline moderation allows me to mark threads as spam, or custom, like a ticket, which would allow additional postfixes to become available.
xenfans_pmc4.webp

contact us to thread by ragtek, slightly customized for xenfans, so we have additional tools and options (easy handling) and that's just handy for discussing reported stuff via contact us, or feedback, complaints, requests, etc. team work is important.
xenfans_pmc2.webp

and thread tools is (just one example) extended with quick ajaxy checkbox to mark a thread to be archived within 24hours, or to load the PMC (project manager controller) from where i can edit the ticket details that go beyond a normal xenforo thread (such as the prefix).
xenfans_pmc3.webp

Archived content ends up in a private archive, with private content in the sub archive called 'Staff'. We review everything we manage, and everything we archive. Including spam.
xenfans_pmc5.webp

Anyway erich, i hope that explains it a bit more.

Sorry everybody for going slightly offtopic ...

I was spot on on the 1.0.4 release date. And I'm predicting that 1.1 will be released in Aug 2011.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1.1 will be tomrow!

I was spot on on the 1.0.4 release date. And I'm predicting that 1.1 will be released in Aug 2011.
I think it will be september actually, August seems to early in my opinion, I reckon the final maintenance release for 1.0 will be 1.0.6, then the release after that will be 1.1.0 Beta maybe, will there be a beta or Release candidate for 1.1?

With XenForo moving over to it's own server, I would let out a giant yell at work if I see any announcements of the Resource Manager once the move is complete ;).

Top Bottom