Looking For Homepage Add-On

TheSalt

Hello Gang!

I have tried a few add-ons and I cant seem to get what I looking for. I'm currently running Porta, Xenzine, and Widget Framework.

1. I would like to add a forum sponsor banner below the tabs, banners that I add not google or the like. Also if possible it would be nice if I could add these to multiple pages. It would be really cool if I could add banners to the sidebar down the road too.

2. I need to be able to add some kind of block/node that displays text and or images that I can add and edit per block/node on the homepage.

3. I would like to add a recent threads section below everything mentioned.

4. This one isn't completely necessary but I would like to include a block/node that has a few of the lastest articles from the xenzine add-on.

Thank you for reading and any help and suggestions.

www.californiareef.com

Hello Gang!

I have tried a few add-ons and I cant seem to get what I looking for. I'm currently running Porta, Xenzine, and Widget Framework.

1. I would like to add a forum sponsor banner below the tabs, banners that I add not google or the like. Also if possible it would be nice if I could add these to multiple pages. It would be really cool if I could add banners to the sidebar down the road too.

2. I need to be able to add some kind of block/node that displays text and or images that I can add and edit per block/node on the homepage.

3. I would like to add a recent threads section below everything mentioned.

4. This one isn't completely necessary but I would like to include a block/node that has a few of the lastest articles from the xenzine add-on.

Thank you for reading and any help and suggestions.

www.californiareef.com
WF Widget Framework should be able to do most of what you need.

I assume you mean BD widget framework, which has a widget page function. Unfortunately the widget page functionality does not work optimal, but its the best solution so far. I understand that @xfrocks plans to create a new addon aimed at portal pages. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I assume you mean BD widget framework, which has a widget page function. Unfortunately the widget page functionality does not work optimal, but its the best solution so far. I understand that @xfrocks plans to create a new addon aimed at portal pages. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes that is what i was referring to. 1,2,3 could easily be done using that addon. What do you mean it 'does not work optimal'?

Yes, a portal by xfrocks is supposedly in the works.

This is all really great info gang! Does any one know where I can get some more info on creating widgets? Also I keep hearing about adding new block to Porta, where do I get these blocks? I'm so lost.

Thank you!

BD Widget System has some widgets included and there is a widget pack for sale in the resources section. On the whole the number of widgets available seems to be a little limited, so you can basically add php or html into a custom widget. Please make sure to share your widget(s) on here so that others can reuse it.

@Alfa1 you have been very helpful on my journey and I thank you. I really wish I knew something about php, html, xtml, and css but I don't. Oddly enough I have been a print designer for the last 15 years but noting more then a small flash banner here and there in regards to web work. I'm thinking about taking a class but I'm not sure the forum will wait. I don't really have any members but I'm worried it will become a dead forum if I leave it to long to learn. I really thought xenforo was going to be more of a point and click kind of thing... Thanks again.

XenForo will expand in functionality in time. Try the widget system and see what you can do with it. While it may not be optimal in all regards, it still gets most of the job done. If you need anything specific then you can post a job here:
Development Requests

@Alfa1 Thank you. I'm thinking this might be the way to go. Also thank you @tajhay for your incite. I think I'm going to do a little more research. I just wish there was more info online on how to create new block and widgets. I don't understand why out little community hasn't done so.

I just wish there was more info online on how to create new block and widgets. I don't understand why out little community hasn't done so.
To be fair the tool is provided to give you access to do anything you want to achieve using html. If you need to query the database more work is required and you need to learn php i guess. Most static content can be delivered using basic html whether it be text, image or whatever. It is really a fantastic addon that is made available for free.

If you need a specific widget made for an addon you may be using, ask the addon developer. Most devs on here are more than happy to assist. As suggested by Alfa1 just ask and someone will be able to help you achieve basic tasks using the widget framework, either post in the dev forum or the widget framework forum itself.

Create a mockup so that we can help you further.
Yes I agree, BD Widget Framework is awesome addon that can do a lot of things.

Top Bottom