Looking For a New Host for Large Forum

And a ton of sites on the server too to try to make the cost of the very expensive T1.

Ha ha! We were fortunate enough to never have a T1, other than the one for our building. The datacenter we used had a whole bunch of DS3/T3 connections. I remember when they got the upgrade to OC48 and eventually OC192. Since most people were still on dial-up though, the DS3s handled matters just fine. It was impossible to saturate a server's connection.

Most people here probably don't remember those days. We used to offer hosting on Pentium IVs and Celerons (as did everyone else) and there were never any issues. Sure, sites have gotten a little more intensive (i.e. Wordpress and such), but the ultimate thing driving all these high-end servers is the fact that the host can put thousands of clients on them, instead of the couple hundred on a P4, especially when you add things like CloudLinux.

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the sites here running dedicated servers could run on an old P4 with 8GB of RAM or such without any difficulty at all.
Hehe, I used to offer hosting on Compaq desktop machines running 386/25 processors (BarrysWorld days). Infact I still have two of the machines in my loft somewhere. Wonder if they still boot.....

Ha ha! We were fortunate enough to never have a T1, other than the one for our building. The datacenter we used had a whole bunch of DS3/T3 connections. I remember when they got the upgrade to OC48 and eventually OC192. Since most people were still on dial-up though, the DS3s handled matters just fine. It was impossible to saturate a server's connection.

I had a local shop back then doing 28/56k dial up and webhosting with Mac Performa's as servers running 4D Webstar linked into 2x T1's.

Hehe, I used to offer hosting on Compaq desktop machines running 386/25 processors (BarrysWorld days). Infact I still have two of the machines in my loft somewhere. Wonder if they still boot.....

I know exactly where my 386's are. One is a footrest under my desk! LOL!

I've seen a lot of recommendations around here for KnownHost with their SSD package. I think Jaxel's site is hosted there. There is a whole thread about them on here.
We tried known host and had random issues with slow speeds and a decent amount of downtime. Every time we tried contacting them they would simply say "it shows its up". Was never any help for the most part, we switched to wiredtree and haven't had problems since *crosses fingers*

On Known Host currently and have tried both dedicated and the SSD VPS, we will be migrating as soon as it is possible if that says anything.

Well, let's start there. How big do you think the 5 biggest XF sites are? Which are they?
Always a bit of argument to say who is the biggest, but I am going top 3 from http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-big-forum-list.26352/ .

Size is an issue, alot of plugins and indeed a lot of functionality is no written with performance in mind. I am talking talking sloppy coding like sleetc user.*, userprofile. * and thenwondering why a script runs out of memory. We can hit 10,000 concurrent users.

Top Bottom