Looking For a New Host for Large Forum

Does Lightspeed restart hourly when it's logs are processed like Apache does? If you run Xcache / APC with Apache in Cpanel for example, you need to enable piped logging to stop it restarting.

I guess you didn't ask for complicated things.

I've asked for all sorts of things, and they've come through on every single one.

The point I'm making, really, is that not everyone has the same experience with a particular company. Some have 100% perfect experiences, some don't - that's why anyone looking for hosting shouldn't just read a single thread on one forum, they should research as much as they can about a provider (any provider) in a number of independent places before making a decision.

Does Lightspeed restart hourly when it's logs are processed like Apache does? If you run Xcache / APC with Apache in Cpanel for example, you need to enable piped logging to stop it restarting.
I guess this was the reason, I'm not sure though.

I've asked for all sorts of things, and they've come through on every single one.

The point I'm making, really, is that not everyone has the same experience with a particular company. Some have 100% perfect experiences, some don't - that's why anyone looking for hosting shouldn't just read a single thread on one forum, they should research as much as they can about a provider (any provider) in a number of independent places before making a decision.
This is true, and I agree. Every company has bad and good reviews/experiences. Knownhost overall very good and responsive, it just wasn't whatever I was looking for.

Thanks Matt! I did not have piped logging enabled. :o

I've never noticed that. But how that works when they offer more than 4GB RAM?
Exactly!

Here is one I set up for someone on here

upload_2013-10-13_22-42-54.webp

Can't get it to actually use much more than 2GB of the RAM available. MySQL can't be allocated more than 2GB to the InnoDB buffer pool, otherwise it won't start.

Well, hopefully. We'll see in a couple of hours. :D
Only other thing would be the PHP handler you are using. If you are using FastCGI or suPHP then each spawned process will have it's own instance of the cache, and members can jump around the cache instance depending on which process they get connected to. You need to run DSO or mod_ruid2.

Only other thing would be the PHP handler you are using. If you are using FastCGI or suPHP then each spawned process will have it's own instance of the cache, and members can jump around the cache instance depending on which process they get connected to. You need to run DSO or mod_ruid2.

Nope, no FastCGI or suPHP. :)

I am looking to move my (current VB, soon to be Xenforo) website to a new host. I know SOME, but not a lot, about how to configure and run a web server. I mostly know development and design. Are there any hosts that would help with configuration for a xenforo website?

Our site does about 6 million pageviews a month.
18,863,963 posts.
Over 400k members.

What would the recommendation be for this kind of forum? How could I estimate out costs per month? Any suggestions?

Would something like Mediatemple work?

Thats going to be quite some import!

So... rather than reccommending hosts blindly (and no, for a forum your size I wouldnt reccomend shared hosting like xfhost, or any shared host for that matter) lets ask a few questions.

1) Where are you located, where are the majority of your users located?
2) Whats your budget per month?
3) If your not comfortable with server management, youll want someone to manage it for you. Do you have someone already?

Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, really appreciate it. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about all of this ... since this side of the website running business is all new to me.

Last edited:
Thats going to be quite some import!

So... rather than reccommending hosts blindly (and no, for a forum your size I wouldnt reccomend shared hosting like xfhost, or any shared host for that matter) lets ask a few questions.

1) Where are you located, where are the majority of your users located?
2) Whats your budget per month?
3) If your not comfortable with server management, youll want someone to manage it for you. Do you have someone already?

Yes, that import is going to be ... a pain (to put it mildly).

1) I am located Oregon (USA). The majority of our users are also in USa, but we do have a worldwide audience.

2) Well, that really depends on what is needed -- I would LOVE to stay as cheap as possible obviously for what could handle our traffic with a solid uptime as well as fast speeds. I would say the absolute high-end of the budget would be 800-900 a month? But lower would obviously be a nice change of pace.

3) I am not completely comfortable with server management. If something was constantly going wrong, that would probably be outside of my expertise. But I can do a lot of the basic stuff myself, so I was hoping to find some kind of solution that included some kind of management as well when it's needed. I do not have someone in mind already, and would absolutely be open to suggestions in that front as well. I'd love to find someone that could, at least, help with the set-up process and be able to help intial troubleshooting of load times and making sure everything can run smoothly. Then be available for future questions and help if growth makes the current situation untenible.

Last edited:
If a site with 18 million posts can run on a shared host without issues, then I say go for it.

I don't use MediaTemple, but did help setup a new vb site on their "Grid" hosting product a few years ago. I wouldn't use it, but thought service was quite good.

If you aren't comfortable with server configuration, then reaching out to someone who already supports Xenforo hosting would be a good idea. However, it would be worthwhile to develop an server/admin strategy of your own.
Do you have a suggestion for someone that does support Xenforo hosting, or what the best way to look into developing a server/admin strategy of my own would be? Those really feel like the next steps -- given my current time table looks like I may have to:

1) move the current VB website to the new server,
2) upgrade to the new version of the website on xenforo when it is complete.

But I am REALLY hoping to just start with the new site, and have the migration/import already done before that step.

Top Bottom