Looking for a host service. (Mike Edge/The Forum Heroes)

Jitke

Good afternoon,

After hunting around for a while I finally came across @The Forum Heroes. However, I cannot seem to find a way to send them a PM. Hopefully this will find it's way.

Many thanks,
-MRIJ

If you're referring to here on the forum, there should be a Start a Conversation link both on his member card and under the Information tab on his profile.

If you're referring to here on the forum, there should be a Start a Conversation link both on his member card and under the Information tab on his profile.
One would think it so easy. However, we are both wrong.
c2c05d12b252a9d59e486fd44ea932aa.png

7cfc0710887487306124e43aec5c56b6.png

Only if he has it set for all members. If he's restricted it to people he follows then you will see it... and if you aren't one he follows then you will not.

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 12.48.29 PM.webp

Only if he has it set for all members. If he's restricted it to people he follows then you will see it... and if you aren't one he follows then you will not.
Well, that makes it rather hard to PM him for business. Haha. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, that makes it rather hard to PM him for business. Haha. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, and I don't think his support site is officially opened yet. Normally tagging him in a thread will grab his attention - but his vacation may have gotten extended or something else cropped up. I know that the weather we've been getting has killed a lot of stuff I was going to help folks out with.

I think he got rid of the cPanel a few months ago when I renewed for a year in advance (December 2017 to December 2018). I might be able to FTP in if the IP is still active but if he shut the server down then I'm hooped.

Mike Edge is no longer a member of this community.

I suspect this is going to come up a lot (like the ******* stuff does) so it might be worth thinking about an explanation and some official advice on what to do for people left with problems.

I suspect this is going to come up a lot (like the ******* stuff does) so it might be worth thinking about an explanation and some official advice on what to do for people left with problems.

Unfortunately, given the service he was offering the only advice we can give is if you still have access, to try and create a backup of your database and files and move to another host.

If you have FTP access only, you can try something such as bigdump to download a copy of the database and manually ftp all the site files down, but if that access has been lost there is unfortunately very little we can do.

I've been in touch with Mike Edge. His response is as follows... Don't know anything about the validity or the problem at hand, just delivering the message:

the outage only effects one server. We had a PSU go bad. The one that arrived today (same day delivery) was DOA so a replacement is shipped but won't arrive til the morning. Sites on that server will be back online in the morning.

I know it doesn't help matters in this situation, unfortunately, but always, always, always, always take your own off-site backups. Do not rely on the host's backups. It's so easy to do in cPanel, and if you aren't using cPanel, there are plenty of people here who would be willing to help.

With a cPanel backup, you literally have the new host restore your backup, change your DNS, and your site is back up on the new host in a matter of minutes.

I know it doesn't help matters in this situation, unfortunately, but always, always, always, always take your own off-site backups. Do not rely on the host's backups. It's so easy to do in cPanel, and if you aren't using cPanel, there are plenty of people here who would be willing to help.

With a cPanel backup, you literally have the new host restore your backup, change your DNS, and your site is back up on the new host in a matter of minutes.

hosting providers do perform regular backups, normally not for client benefits, the host is protecting their own assets, clients are always responsible for maintaining their own backups, some hosts do provide a specific backup service for clients, however, there is still no guarantee that the host would be able to even recover a backup, and it is still the clients responsibility to maintain their backups, and if you run a large site, then I would recommend an external backup service, and keep backups stored in multiple locations, ultimately, it is the clients responsibily, no matter what!

Top Bottom