Localhost installs ok, online not so good

Evan Gorman

Was unable to run the installer on my live site (Joomla 1.5, hosted by Rochen) so I took a backup and installed it locally using using WAMP.

Live: Get a 500 error when trying to run the xenforo installer, or even the xenforo_requirements.php page
Local: Everything installs and works fine
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/rQYrl.png
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Kq9ix.png

Can someone point me in the right direction?

It's hard to know without looking at the server logs but I would guess:
Files are in the wrong place / Uploaded incorrectly
An invalid directive in an .htaccess file
Limitation imposed by file system (Permissions are too open)

Can you reach an html file at that location?

Probably contact your host.

The requirements script is pretty basic and should not be returning that error. I actually had this problem on my server last night too, where all PHP scripts returned a 500 error including a phpinfo file. My host had to fix something on their end.

Jake, I'm thinking it's something on their end as well. I can easily access an html file at that location but not a php. Folder permissions are set to 777 for community, ./data, ./internal_data
Would uploading my .htaccess file be a good idea?

y4oc0.png
IyQyX.png

Jake, I'm thinking it's something on their end as well. I can easily access an html file at that location but not a php. Folder permissions are set to 777 for community, ./data, ./internal_data
Would uploading my .htaccess file be a good idea?
I agree with Jake, it's almost certainly a host issue. I'd contact your host and see if they can be of assistance. Also you don't need the entire community directory set to 777 only the data and internal data directories. I would change the"community" directory to 755 but leave "data" and "internal_data" as 777.

For troubleshooting purposes you can remove the .htaccess file.

And simbolo is correct... the forum root should not be 777. In fact, that can cause server errors in some configurations. 755 should be adequate for the forum root.
An example would be 1and1 hosting will give that exact error if you set the whole site directory to 777.

I set the community folder permissions back to 755 and left the other two at 777. I also tried removing .htaccess in the community folder and got a different message:
sCfpw.png

Jake, I assumed you meant remove the .htaccess in the community folder and not the site root, correct? I did both just in case with no luck.

Getting support from Rochen has been difficult. Since our developer owns the Rochen account, we're being treated as the red-headed stepchild.

The 404 error is incidental. That's a http 500 error (internal server error).

Try a regular phpinfo file. If that doesn't work then you can give that to your host as a demonstration of the error. Otherwise the host might be inclined to just blame the particular PHP application (e.g. XenForo).

Attachments

SOLVED!
I changed the /install directory to from 775 to 755, and all files inside from 664 to 644. Installation page came right up. Voila!

Evan,
It looks like you are doing an existing joomla install with a xf addon. I'm currently in the process of adding joomla to an existing Xf install. I'm looking at joomla 2.5.x though.
I'd be intersted to hear about any single sign on and skinning issues that you come across - especially as my boards are based on the flexile skin that I see you are testing.

Top Bottom