Local install on a mac for testing

optrex

I want to do a local install on a Mac to use for testing. What do I need to do to get a local database (mysql) and everything else installed in such as way that it would behave like the website?

Good timing. I was just trying to screw around with this today. MAMP is a nightmare. I downloaded Zend and will try that out tomorrow. Anyone have a guide for running a forum install through Zend?
I've got zend running out of the box but its not that clear how to upload the xf files and create a db. Anyone got a guide please?

I've got zend running out of the box but its not that clear how to upload the xf files and create a db. Anyone got a guide please?

Copy the XF files to the web root, where ever that is. And create the database in phpmyadmin (installed with Zend). Login to phpmyadmin using the root MySQL password you setup during installation.

I have a couple of dedicated Mac OS X Servers running all of my websites, including my XF forums. It is very simple if you install Server.app from the Mac App Store, this will give you most of the services needed (Apache 2.2.xx and PHP 5.3.xx, along with DNS, FTP and Mail). I prefer this slightly over the combined packages that are out there.

The only thing you need to install from there is MySQL, as PostgreSQL is the default DBMS on Mac OS. There is a DMG which is easy to install for MySQL, including a service to auto-start the instance.

Let me know if you run into any issues or have questions.

Top Bottom