Loaned Money you never got back.

I don't have much money to lend lol

But in the past I have only ever lent money if I can "let go of it" - that is I will lend you money if I have it, but only if I know and care about you enough to write the money off if it doesn't come back. I absolutely hate the idea of asking for money I have loaned, and would hate a friendship or worse family relationship to sour over money.

Don't lend if you can't emotionally and financially write it off.

I loaned a friend $60 once and bugged him for the money for about six months.. His birthday came around and I told him that his present was that he didnt owe me the money anymore. I was tired of stressing over it.

I absolutely hate the idea of asking for money I have loaned, and would hate a friendship or worse family relationship to sour over money.

I'm going through that now. Loaned $500 to my dad. He was supposed to pay half on 10/22 and half on 11/05. I've seen him a few times since and he hasn't said anything to me about it. I hate to bring it up but I suppose I have to. I don't need the money but he doesn't know that. For all he knows it could be putting us in quite a jam, that's a lot of money to some people.

If he needed more time paying it back that's fine but I really resent the fact that he's acting like it never happened.
The last (and only other) time I loaned him money he gave me a post-dated check which bounced. He borrowed $590. One time I was over there he handed me a wad of money. Got home and counted it and it was $500. Never heard anything more about the remaining $90.

Oh, and there was the time he asked to borrow $600 to pay for my brother's reception dinner and never paid me back.
Geez, I need to quit loaning this guy money.

I suppose I'll call today and ask for the $500 he currently owes me. The rest I've written off. I didn't care too much about it before but now that I have a wife and child I see it as not just taking away money from me but them as well.

I once lent a colleague £300 to pay his mortgage because he was going through a messy divorce and he convinced me he would pay it back the next month in full after the sale of his car. He left the firm a few weeks later and I never saw him, his car, or the cash again ... lol

[Edit to remove personal account - on reflection, this isn't really something for a public forum].

I must say though, I don't often lend money - experience has taught me that it can really sour things between family / friends - even the smallest of amounts!!!

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Yes and ever since I will only lend money if I don't have any need for it. If I then get it back its a nice surprise.

Though I did have one guy pay me back what I lent him as birthday present, that wasn't all too nice :P

fat-tony-picture.jpg

I always get my money back though.

It has been my experience to never get it back. So, I don't make loans. If someone needs a loan, and I have it, I give it to them with no expectation of having it returned (they don't know it tho).

This way if I get it back, it's a nice surprise.

It has been my experience to never get it back. So, I don't make loans. If someone needs a loan, and I have it, I give it to them with no expectation of having it returned (they don't know it tho).

This way if I get it back, it's a nice surprise.
In that case, can I borrow $20 ? :)

Nah, keep the money and donate it to Kier/Mike/DOES-1-10 or something, so they can fight the fight.

I did over $4k in total oh yes i am telling the Truth it happened last yr even i paid some of bills for my so called friend who dragged me into his problems and left me there , We shared apartment last year well i knew him from childhood with the change of time he had changed a lot i did mistake trusting him . He paid around $800 after i started giving him nightmares i had no choice since he dragged me in some stupid case of his and left me there i even settled it but he ignored to help me back . Oh well now i hardly help anyone when it's matter of money after what i went through last year .

There was a guy at work who would borrow small amounts of money and pay back quickly.
He would do this a few times. I guess he was establishing a good line of credit. :)
Then he'd borrow a larger amount and disappear.

Someone I knew knew him from a previous job where he pulled this stunt.
After lending him a small amount once, sure enough he asked me for a larger amount.
I told him no. He ended up quitting shortly thereafter.

Top Bottom