1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loaned Money you never got back.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe., Nov 30, 2010.

1. Joe.

Joe. Active Member

Have you ever loaned money to somebody and never gotten it back?
  2. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

3. Joe.

Joe. Active Member

How much?
  4. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I don't have much money to lend lol

But in the past I have only ever lent money if I can "let go of it" - that is I will lend you money if I have it, but only if I know and care about you enough to write the money off if it doesn't come back. I absolutely hate the idea of asking for money I have loaned, and would hate a friendship or worse family relationship to sour over money.

Don't lend if you can't emotionally and financially write it off.
  5. Joe.

Joe. Active Member

I loaned a friend $60 once and bugged him for the money for about six months.. His birthday came around and I told him that his present was that he didnt owe me the money anymore. I was tired of stressing over it.
  6. kilcher

kilcher Active Member

I'm going through that now. Loaned $500 to my dad. He was supposed to pay half on 10/22 and half on 11/05. I've seen him a few times since and he hasn't said anything to me about it. I hate to bring it up but I suppose I have to. I don't need the money but he doesn't know that. For all he knows it could be putting us in quite a jam, that's a lot of money to some people.

If he needed more time paying it back that's fine but I really resent the fact that he's acting like it never happened.
    The last (and only other) time I loaned him money he gave me a post-dated check which bounced. He borrowed $590. One time I was over there he handed me a wad of money. Got home and counted it and it was $500. Never heard anything more about the remaining $90.

Oh, and there was the time he asked to borrow $600 to pay for my brother's reception dinner and never paid me back.
    Geez, I need to quit loaning this guy money.

I suppose I'll call today and ask for the $500 he currently owes me. The rest I've written off. I didn't care too much about it before but now that I have a wife and child I see it as not just taking away money from me but them as well.
  7. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I once lent a colleague £300 to pay his mortgage because he was going through a messy divorce and he convinced me he would pay it back the next month in full after the sale of his car. He left the firm a few weeks later and I never saw him, his car, or the cash again ... lol

[Edit to remove personal account - on reflection, this isn't really something for a public forum].

I must say though, I don't often lend money - experience has taught me that it can really sour things between family / friends - even the smallest of amounts!!!

Shaun :D
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

And they simply ruined it for the rest.
  9. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Yes and ever since I will only lend money if I don't have any need for it. If I then get it back its a nice surprise.

Though I did have one guy pay me back what I lent him as birthday present, that wasn't all too nice :p
  10. Floris

Floris Guest

I always get my money back though.
    Jake Bunce and Cezz like this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

It has been my experience to never get it back. So, I don't make loans. If someone needs a loan, and I have it, I give it to them with no expectation of having it returned (they don't know it tho).

This way if I get it back, it's a nice surprise.
    Jake Bunce likes this.
  12. Floris

Floris Guest

In that case, can I borrow $20 ? :)
  13. bigwater

bigwater New Member

14. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I don't have it. :p
  15. Floris

Floris Guest

16. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

17. Floris

Floris Guest

Nah, keep the money and donate it to Kier/Mike/DOES-1-10 or something, so they can fight the fight.
  18. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

I did over $4k in total oh yes i am telling the Truth it happened last yr even i paid some of bills for my so called friend who dragged me into his problems and left me there , We shared apartment last year well i knew him from childhood with the change of time he had changed a lot i did mistake trusting him . He paid around $800 after i started giving him nightmares i had no choice since he dragged me in some stupid case of his and left me there i even settled it but he ignored to help me back . Oh well now i hardly help anyone when it's matter of money after what i went through last year .
  19. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

I once loaned someone $20, never seen them again.

Best $20 I've ever spent!
  20. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

There was a guy at work who would borrow small amounts of money and pay back quickly.
    He would do this a few times. I guess he was establishing a good line of credit. :)
    Then he'd borrow a larger amount and disappear.

Someone I knew knew him from a previous job where he pulled this stunt.
    After lending him a small amount once, sure enough he asked me for a larger amount.
    I told him no. He ended up quitting shortly thereafter.