1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Live while Importing

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by jordanr, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jordanr

jordanr Member

Importing the posts can take hours and hours...

Is there any issue with having the forum open for members to post while the import is still ongoing?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will need to close the source forum or import from a backup/copy of the database.

3. jordanr

jordanr Member

I mean that during import with source forum closed I will leave fresh XenForo open.

4. Brogan

You can't have people posting, etc. on the source forum while it is being imported to XenForo, nor can you have people posting on XenForo.

Both forums must be closed during the import.

5. jordanr

jordanr Member

I am doing a test import currently. I am up to the point of importing all the posts. I was able to post to the new XenForo seemingly without issue.

What problems will happen if I leave the destination XenForo open and someone posts while import is ongoing?

I understand that the source forum must be closed.

6. Brogan

If you opt to retain IDs then the import will fail due to duplicate entry keys.

7. jordanr

jordanr Member

So if I don't opt to retain IDs I will be ok...

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Well even without that other inconsistencies could be created. The official advice would be to keep everything read only while importing.