Live Content

Live Content [Paid] 1.2.3

No permission to buy ($25.00)
  • ErrorException: Fatal Error: Access level to SV\LiveContent\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread::setupThreadEdit() must be public (as in class ServerDev\UserVoice\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread)
Got this error. Can't open any thread

@Xon , hope you´re doing fine since it´s been a while you`ve announced an update to this addon. Would like to give it a shot, when the XF 2.2 issues have been sorted out.

I can't seem to get this to work. I have given the Administrator group permission but "Live updates". Do I need to set the permission anywhere else other than "User group permissions"

You need to assign the "View live threads" permission. The "Live updates" permission just causes the alert counts to be updates periodically when viewing any page.

You need to assign the "View live threads" permission. The "Live updates" permission just causes the alert counts to be updates periodically when viewing any page.
I have all three permissions assigned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.42.25 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.42.25 AM.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.41.59 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.41.59 AM.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi Xon, before I purchase this addon I was just wondering if there are settings to control the polling frequency and if those settings are separated by content type?

IE - poll time for threads
poll time for conversations

A bit of feedback.

One user on mobile responded with:

"I left for 10-15 mins. Turned off my screen. When I came back the new posts which started updating from the missed time, started popping below and moved my location on the screen"

Another, on Desktop, responded with:

"Seems like if you reading a message on the live thread and another one gets posted, it might jump the position of all of them up which is kinda jarring"

I confirmed this to be the case.

Currently still testing things out, but I'll let you know if I hear further.

By the way, this may be affected by server performance, but I found the following using a stopwatch with the add-on settings at 1s-1s-1s:

"Live" loading time while scrolling up and down: 8 seconds
"Live" loading time while typing a post: 15 seconds
"Live" loading time while doing absolutely nothing: 29 seconds.

I had messed with the settings for Alert Improvements and may just end up disabling that to see if that fixes a distinct lack of any alerts when the posts load in an inactive tab.

Last edited:
Mobiles & timers do make this hard I'm not really sure what the best answer is for it

It's a complete rework, and definitely harder but I could see doing something that sorta combines this idea with the idea of infinite scroll, as created by... I wanna say Bassman, but I'm not confident. You make it so that the new posts will load but that scrolling to the bottom to see them will load posts in order still without a skip.

The idea of Live Content is nice; it's kinda reminiscent of Discourse without the annoying function of Discourse that spies on when people are making new posts, or the awkward format.

But if you make it so people can go to the posts instead of a forced scroll, that'll probably work better? It means loading things differently... You might be able to force being in the same position from the top though?

Top Bottom