Linking to info tab from membercard template

ForestForTrees

Hello,

I'm trying to add a very prominent link to the Information tab of a member's profile from the member's membercard. This is the first time I've ever tinkered with the xen templating language, so it didn't take very long at all to figure out that I was over my head.

Clearly the following won't work, but hopefully it makes it clear where I'm starting from. The bold text is what would be added to the membercard template.
Rich (BB code):
        <div class="userTitleBlurb">
            <h4 class="userTitle">{xen:helper userTitle, $user}</h4>
            <div class="userBlurb">{xen:helper userBlurb, $user, 0}</div>
        </div>

<div class="userTitleBlurb">
            <h4 class="userTitle"><a href="{xen:link 'http://xenforo.com/community/members/brogan.521/#info'}">My Info</a></h4>
        </div>

<blockquote class="status">{xen:helper bodytext, $user.status}</blockquote>

Any ideas on how to get this to work? It doesn't have to be pretty (not that I don't like pretty code; I just want it to work).

Before we try to modify the member card...

The individual tabs on a user's profile page cannot be linked to directly. They don't anchor. I have tried to do this before but was unsuccessful.

Is there some specific information in that tab that you want to display?

Thank you very much for helping out, Jake. I've heard that you probably know the answer. ;-)

Is there some specific information in that tab that you want to display?

Yes, the "About You" field on the info tab is very important for our specific community. We are a support community for people who are recovering from chronic pain, and when someone posts their story of recovery (or the progress they've made so far) to their profile, it greatly increases engagement with the community. We want those stories to be front and center, so people can learn about one another and develop a sense of connection. Here's my story (the bloody anchor link fails, as you note):
http://tmswiki.org/forum/members/forest.6/#info

If it would be possible to add that field to the default Profile Posts tab and then rename the tab, I think that that would be a terrific solution.

Plan B, I guess, would be to copy the following line in the "member_view" template from the "<li id="info" class="profileContent">" section to the "<li id="profilePosts" class="profileContent">" section:
HTML:
<xen:if is="{$user.about}"><div class="baseHtml ugc">{xen:raw $user.aboutHtml}</div></xen:if>
I'm totally happy to have it in both places. As I mentioned, we really want to highlight this info.

Does that sound like a feasible approach? Guidance very much appreciated, as our forum team is pretty maxed out these days.

I had much the same issue as I didn't want personal info to be hidden behind tabs.
I made member_view split the main content area into 2 columns. The first has profile posts - a lot less useful in my opinion, and the second column has the components like About Me and some custom fields.
It wasn't easy to do and in the end I got help. But it was possible and I think it works well.

[EDIT] It means that when you click Profile off the membercard it shows this info on the front page of the Profile page.
I also made that profile link on the membercard much more prominent.

I ended up adding the following at the very top of the profile posts tab:
Code:
<div class="section">
                        <h3 class="textHeading"><a href="{xen:link account/personal-details}#story">{xen:phrase about}</a></h3>
                        <div class="secondaryContent">
                                <xen:if is="{$user.about}"><div class="baseHtml ugc">{xen:raw $user.aboutHtml}</div></xen:if>
                        </div>
</div>

This works fine for people who have filled out their "About You" field, like me:
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/members/forest.6/
However, it looks bad for people who have left it blank:
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/members/eliuri.35/
(Note the blank space at the top.)

Is there any way to make it so that field doesn't show up at all if it's empty?

It seems like a <xen: if> </xen:if> pair would fix this, but I have no idea how this would be applied.

Can anyone help me out with this? Any help you can provide for syntax of the <xen: if> command and the relevant variables would be very helpful.

Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.about}">
<div class="section">
                        <h3 class="textHeading"><a href="{xen:link account/personal-details}#story">{xen:phrase about}</a></h3>
                                <div class="baseHtml ugc">{xen:raw $user.aboutHtml}</div>
                        </div>
</div>
</xen:if>

Hi @Breixo,

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you may have put the code in the wrong place.

I put the code in the member_view template, right after the following code:
Code:
<ul id="ProfilePanes">
<li id="profilePosts" class="profileContent">
If you search for <ul id="ProfilePanes">, you should find the right place quickly. Put the following code after both of the above lines:
Code:
<div class="section">

<xen:if is="{$user.about}">
<div class="baseHtml ugc">{xen:raw $user.aboutHtml}</div>
<xen:else />
<div class="baseHtml ugc">This user has not yet added their story. To add your story, <a href="{xen:link account/personal-details}#story">click here</a> and scroll down.</div>
</xen:if>
</div>
</div>

About 10 lines above, I also replaced "<li><a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#profilePosts">{xen:phrase profile_posts}</a></li>" with "<li><a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#profilePosts">My Story and Profile Posts</a></li>." I did this so that the tab is appropriately labeled. Theoretically, I should have updated the profile_posts phrase instead.

Great! Thank you so much!
It worked like a charm.
I'll try to make more changes so it looks more like #info tab. That's a perfect starting point.
Thanks!

Top Bottom