1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited Guest Viewing

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Brandon Chelo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Brandon Chelo

Brandon Chelo Member

Anyway to do this like the vbulletin mod.

Just looking to still allow google bots in.. but require people to login to view threads.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There's an implication of allowing search engines in to view the threads - this is borderline cloaking to Google, so it's not recommended.
    Darkimmortal likes this.
  4. Junior

Junior Well-Known Member

5. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Yes, but i see many vary famous forums that using it around the years...never happened to see one of that penalized or banned by google.

In theory you're right, in the pratice i think that Google (the quality raters, i don't think that a bot can recognize this "trick) are sufficiently intelligent for see that it's not a trick for have more google visits. IMHO...i think it's a grey hat tecnique. But i'm love to see a mod to doing that on Xenforo. Very very useful to attract new users.
  6. Junior

Junior Well-Known Member

It works by putting a cookie on the users browser, should they read x amount of posts the cookie stops them from viewing any more. Guests could clear cookies to bypass it but a lot of them don't know that or just are to lazy so they have to register/login.

It works because bots don't use cookies.
    Markos likes this.