• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add-on Limited Guest Viewing -- Motivate Guests to Register

Great way to get blacklisted from search engines for content cloaking, but hey! to each their own.

Great way to get blacklisted from search engines for content cloaking, but hey! to each their own.

This won't get you blocked as there is no content cloaking as you put it. If the spiders for example wouldn't have been subjected to the same restricitions like guests then there would have been a violation of their tos so to speak.

Content cloaking is showing something different to spiders than what guests see. Which is 100% true. Guests are not able to see everything.

Now the mod is updated to limit the thread views to those users waiting email account confirmation as well. You can also exlude forums from the view limit.

The error message will also show when you mouse over the threads after the maximum number of thread views has been reached.

To test it with an account that waits email confirmation log in at my forum with the username and password: test. And the exluded forum from the limit is the Premium Mods forum here:

http://www.forumservices.eu/xenservices/index.php?forums/premium-mods.15/

The OP updated with the new screenshots and info as well.

Attachments

• Admin CP - XenForo_1305749206220.webp
    Admin CP - XenForo_1305749206220.webp
    77.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Guest - Error - XenForo_1305749282052.webp
    Guest - Error - XenForo_1305749282052.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 56
  • User - Error - XenForo_1305749361763.webp
    User - Error - XenForo_1305749361763.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 54
Don't work yet. But I'm sure you're in the right way to solve the issue :)

I pm'ed you the link to my test forum where you can see that it works with that other mod as well. I tried it in 3 separate forums and there was no incomaptible issue at all. But you must first uninstall the old mod and then install the new mod I emailed you before and it should work for you as well :)

Ah, I'm in the market for something like that, I have a few questions:
1) how does this affect search engine spiders. Do they get locked out as well? If not, how did you implement this? (not that I don't trust you heheh)
2) does this integrate with 'groups' as in the groups we can create in xenforo, your post refers to 'groups' but I'm not sure that's what you mean.
3) does this read/write from a database or is it cookie based?
4) by view do you mean 'thread view' in the sense that you can hit the limit by seeing the same page 5 times, or browsing one thread spread to multiple pages (more than 5 pages) or just 5 separate threads regardless of how many pages per thread you have browsed?

Thank you

Ah, I'm in the market for something like that, I have a few questions:
1) how does this affect search engine spiders. Do they get locked out as well? If not, how did you implement this? (not that I don't trust you heheh)
2) does this integrate with 'groups' as in the groups we can create in xenforo, your post refers to 'groups' but I'm not sure that's what you mean.
3) does this read/write from a database or is it cookie based?
4) by view do you mean 'thread view' in the sense that you can hit the limit by seeing the same page 5 times, or browsing one thread spread to multiple pages (more than 5 pages) or just 5 separate threads regardless of how many pages per thread you have browsed?

Thank you

Hi,

1) This mod will treat the guests and the search engines the same. Because doing otherwise it would be a breach of their tos.

2) This will affect only the guests and the invalid group. i.e. users who have not validated their accounts following the instrusctions in their confirmation email.

3) This is cookie based only

4) By thread views it means that after they have reached the minimum number of views set by the admin, they will not be able to view any more threads throughout the whole forum.

Thank you very much for such a fast reply borbole, I'm impressed!

Regarding #1, do you know if this has any impact on SEO, or if this confuses Google
Regarding #2, any plans to change this so that for example, a group could be set to have the right to read 200 messages, then another group 500 messages, etc?

tx!

Thank you very much for such a fast reply borbole, I'm impressed!

Regarding #1, do you know if this has any impact on SEO, or if this confuses Google
Regarding #2, any plans to change this so that for example, a group could be set to have the right to read 200 messages, then another group 500 messages, etc?

tx!

You are welcome :)

Regarding #1, not that I know of.

Regarding #2, atm I am not planning to expand the mod further Shamufish.

Borbole was awesome to work with. They replied very quickly even though I was trying to purchase the mod after hours (I was very surprised by such quick response) and then whenever I had problems getting it configured -- Borbole messaged me back very quickly and got everything taken care of. Mod works great and my registrations are going through the roof :) We've been stuck at 51 members for the past few days, and in the last few hours that I have had the mod installed we have gone up to 65!! Keep the mods coming Borbole!!

If I buy this mod will it hurt my search engine ranking? I.E. Will google still pick up all of my posts ect? Or is it going to be limited to just picking up a few posts?

Top Bottom