Add-on [PAID] Limited Guest Viewing -- Motivate Guests to Register

Great job borbole! :) Really Quick!
Can you exclude some forum from check?
We'll donate you how much I promised ;)

A new version has been released that has the forum exlude check option and it extends the thread view limit to the users awaiting email confirmations as well.

What is it with charging for all the good mods, that are so easy to make. This is one thing the turns me away from Xen Foro. At least when vBULLetin started wanting to charge for everything... They made a free version.

What is it with charging for all the good mods, that are so easy to make. This is one thing the turns me away from Xen Foro. At least when vBULLetin started wanting to charge for everything... They made a free version.
If it is so easy to make then do it yourself? I don't fully agree with the mod being that price but I do believe mods should have a price tag unless very basic. If this mod was a bit better with displaying the no more views message and used to limit other things (should simply add to a different usergroup when limit has expired so people can restrict whatever they want) then I would probably pay $10 for it, current state I would spend an hour and get it done myself.

I do hope the resource manager will have paid mod support.

If it is so easy to make then do it yourself? I don't fully agree with the mod being that price but I do believe mods should have a price tag unless very basic. If this mod was a bit better with displaying the no more views message and used to limit other things (should simply add to a different usergroup when limit has expired so people can restrict whatever they want) then I would probably pay $10 for it, current state I would spend an hour and get it done myself.

I do hope the resource manager will have paid mod support.
I could do it myself. I developed for vBULLetin, but the fact is, I'm new to XF, so while I could do it... It may take me a bit to do. Plus, when porting a mod, I choose to lend respect to the previous developer, and ask him before porting his mod. While I respect borbole, I doubt he asked the original coder of this mod, to port it over to XF and charge for a mod that was originally created by someone else. Just because you recreate it, and change some things around, does not mean it is your work. I believe the original creator would be upset that what was once a free mod released under creative commons, is now a chargeable mod. I'm not just picking on borbole, he has helped me a few times, but other members on the XF are worse. They LITERALLY copied mods from VB and port them over word for word... And then charge for them. It's ridiculous.

Errr... not they didn't! They copied the idea, NOT the mod! Porting a mod means taking the existing code and making it work under a new system. This is not what happens with XenForo as vBulletin is so badly designed compared to XenForo. You can do things much faster and nicer just coding things in XenForo. I'm making a new mod called Simple Gallery. I assume there are mods out there that do the same thing, have the same name and are free. Do you want me to find them and ask them if I am allowed to make my own version? I'm going to make a portal at one point, it is like saying I have to ask XenPorta creator if I can make one...

The simple fact is that no one is literally taking mods and modifying them to work with XenForo. If they did they would come up with a very poor, hard to maintain and most likely very buggy mod. Ideas are free.

I could do it myself. I developed for vBULLetin, but the fact is, I'm new to XF, so while I could do it... It may take me a bit to do. Plus, when porting a mod, I choose to lend respect to the previous developer, and ask him before porting his mod. While I respect borbole, I doubt he asked the original coder of this mod, to port it over to XF and charge for a mod that was originally created by someone else. Just because you recreate it, and change some things around, does not mean it is your work. I believe the original creator would be upset that what was once a free mod released under creative commons, is now a chargeable mod. I'm not just picking on borbole, he has helped me a few times, but other members on the XF are worse. They LITERALLY copied mods from VB and port them over word for word... And then charge for them. It's ridiculous.

Please get your facts in order before you jump into conclusions and make accusations. My mod is coded way differently from that mod from the vbulletin. It is coded from scratch and does not use one bit of code remotely similiar with the other mod. Those who have purchased it can verify it very easy. The only thing that my mod has in common with the other mod at vb is the idea and that is about it.

About mod authors charging for their mods, with all due respect, that is none of your business. You can not tell others how they should release their work like others can not tell you how you should release your work.

Like mentioned above, if you don''t want to pay for a mod, then don''t buy it. Code your own and the problem is solved.

But please, don''t ruin my thread with this discussion, paid mods vs free ones. If you would like to discuss about it, you can start a new thread.

Can you copyright an idea ?
What is the scope of the copyright ? Does any code that motivates guests to register mean there is a violation ?
Did the original vB author come up with the idea themselves ... or did they see another plugin like that ?
I think it does matter that the code behind addon is entirely different than the vBulletin code.

It has been said before, but obviously it needs to be said again.

No one has the right to criticise any add-on developer over how they design, market and release their add-ons.
If you don't like it, move on and find another add-on.

Let that be an end to this particular discussion - this is not the thread for it and further off topic posts will be deleted.

For our user we need this vb.org Ted's mod.
Here is the link to the VB mod
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178720

For our scope, the "cookies" mode is comfortable. No need for "IP/ Database Logging"mode.

While for "drive more registration" alert the second option is requested:
(from vb.org):
This plugin offers two options which can be used to drive in more registrations. The first option allows you to show a reminder message or advertisement after a guest has viewed a certain number of threads. The second option puts up a roadblock stopping guests from viewing threads altogether after reaching a certain number of views. Both options work together to encourage and ultimately force anonymous visitors to either register or login but can also be used separately based on your individual needs.

The "stop" message must be a phrased/customizable template.

50$ donation to the coder.
Send me a PM. I can do this for you :)

Top Bottom