XF 2.2 Limit participants in a thread

ivp

Any ideas how to create public thread where only selected members can participate in discussion?

So all members can view and read the thread, but selected members only can write replies.

There's nothing built in which will do that easily.

There is the reply ban function, but you would have to ban every member individually other than the ones who are permitted to post.

That is correct, but your best bet might be to create a forum for just that thread, and use the forum permissions for those users with their own secondary user group.

So set permissions in that forum as you required above
  • Registered can view
  • Registered can not post new threads or reply
  • Usergroup can post replies (but not new threads unless you want them to)

I have done this a couple of times where I only want permissions to apply to a single thread, and I didn't even need the post new thread permission in the forum, because I made an htaccess 301 redirect from the forum URL to the single thread URL.

So people click on the forum in the list and all go straight to the single thread view rather than forum view

My contacts add-on was designed to do this, though it is a paid add-on (in CAD dollars, :rolleyes:). Create a contact list for each debating team, and then create a thread for each debate and select the contact list to use, only those in that contact list can reply.

Stay safe,
Lawrence

Last edited:
My contacts add-on was designed to do this, though it is a paid add-on (in CAD dollars, :rolleyes:). Create a contact list for each debating team, and then create a thread for each debate and select the contact list to use, only those in that contact list can reply.
This would be hardly the same group of users, so would end up in creating hundreds of contact groups :(

This would be hardly the same group of users, so would end up in creating hundreds of contact groups :(
My apologies, I misread what you would like. Whatever solution you find, aren't you going to be creating hundreds of somethings anyways? Using this add-on will at the least let you keep each list you create for future use, and as a side bonus you can use the lists to PC the members during the debate.

If you can't find a solution let me know and I'll give you a copy to try (and keep) as I am pretty confident this add-on can do what you would like done, and if I am wrong then no harm, no foul, :)

Stay safe,
Lawrence

My Collaborative Threads add-on has been used for this.

What you do is create a child-forum where users do not have the "Post replies" permission and then have a moderator start the thread. If you have User Essential's [UserEss] Post replies in other's threads can be used so a user to start their own thread and reply to it.

Collaborative Threads then allows you to ad-hoc invite people into that thread, inherited the reply permission of the thread starter.

You can then use Aggregating Forums to make threads from that child forum appear in the parent forum.

Collaborative Threads is really a toolkit for sharing permissions as if a user was the thread starter . Meaning it works with the "View threads by others" permission as well to create semi-private threads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom