XF 2.2 Limit number of nodes

Ricsca

Is there a limit number of nodes for xenforo?

I remember that years ago with vbulletin I created a demo forum with more than 150 nodes and the forum went wrong...

There is no official limit.

150 nodes should be fine (that's how much nodes we have).

1,000 nodes (for example) may cause performance issues.

I would need about 8,000 nodes 🥵
As stated, prefixes can be your friend.

Instead of a node for each manufacturer... one node for Telescopes and a LOT of available prefixes. So, 1 node vs 37 (the list got cut off for the screen shot) as in addition to manufacturers, you can use styles, hardware and more for that one node.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 2.58.46 PM.webp

I really wish the "Custom Thread Fields" would support open-ended text input so that it could work more like tags. Each Custom Field group would be its own independent tag set and it would work perfectly for this situation (I need the same thing).

Essentially an "Advanced Custom Fields" for Xenforo (like the Wordpress Plugin)

I really wish the "Custom Thread Fields" would support open-ended text input so that it could work more like tags.
Pretty sure it already does support open ended input... just doesn't do a great job of filtering/searching on the custom fields - a weakness that has been commented on. I'd LOVE to be able to search based upon stuff like Camera, Telescope/Lens and similar.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 4.36.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 4.38.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 4.38.48 PM.png

Last edited:
it already does support open ended input
I took another look (see attached).
xf-acf.webp

Regardless of "Field Type" selected, I'm seeing an "Options for choice fields" section that requires you to pre-fill the possible choices. By open ended, I meant more like tags, where users can submit any value they want. So for example when Apple announces the iPhone 100 a user could fill a "Phone Name" field with "Apple iPhone 100" without an admin having to manually add it.

Does that make sense? Or am I still overlooking something?

We had THOUSANDS of Nodes on Android Forums until custom building a solution called "Channels" that worked more similarly to tags. Sadly we lost all of our custom development moving from XF 1.X to 2.X and desperately need to bring back the ability to better segment discussion. I was hoping Custom Thread Fields would do the trick but it seems like it's too limited.

Tag Essentials by @Stuart Wright seems like the best option at this point (but from what I can tell licenses are by invite only):

So for example when Apple announces the iPhone 100 a user could fill a "Phone Name" field with "Apple iPhone 100" without an admin having to manually add it.

Does that make sense? Or am I still overlooking something?
Yeah... those 3 options that I showed allow free text entry - you can restrict what is allowed by the value match requirements or just leave it as None and there are no restrictions. You don't put anything in the Options for choice fields as that's for the drop downs, button/check box selections (which is what the filters and calibration images used in the below image are).

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 7.12.24 PM.png

ISO, Camera and Integration time are all free text fields.

As I said, as for searching/referencing... they are useless under the current filter/search ability that XenForo has, even with ES installed.

Last edited:
licenses are by invite only
Incorrect. I just need to confirm that the forums using my addons
  • are not in direct competition with out business and
  • don't support activities which I don't support (e.g. illegal activities or such things as promoting cheating in games)
You can set default tags to automatically be added to threads posted within specific forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom