License (quest.)

Accreal

Will this type of license:
where you get a permanent license to use the product (1) + permanent right to upgrade.
Among other. In my opinion this type was formerly on the ipb if not mistaken. But cost more.

Will this type of license:
where you get a permanent license to use the product (1) + permanent right to upgrade.
Among other. In my opinion this type was formerly on the ipb if not mistaken. But cost more.

IPB did have these licenses previously (lifetime and then perpetual) - they stopped offering them some time ago and have been trying hard to convince users to move off them. I would be very surprised to see XenForo come out with a license option like that - they don't make sense financially for the company.

If I understand what you are asking I am against these types of licenses because there is no reason for the developers to keep developing... Show you what I mean...

1. One time cost for version X no renewal costs etc. (Can cause developers to hold of on a feature till the next version)
  2. One time cost for all versions free upgrades. (After sold to a market saturation there is no more income so no reason for developers to continue developing).
  3. One time cost with a yearly renewal cost. (This means there are continuous income coming in and a reason for new features to always be added to get the next block of renewals).

Speaking as someone who has a few commercial software applications that I write and sell I have to say that licensing a product with perpetual upgrade rights at no cost is terrible business.

As both a creator and consumer of software I prefer to either buy an initial license with a year of upgrades and then renew the right to upgrade annually (i.e., software maintenance) or buy a license with minor upgrade rights (e.g., 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 etc) and then pay an upgrade fee for major upgrades (e.g., 1.x to 2.x). This strikes me as fair to both the provider and the consumer.

Top Bottom