License Display and Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, you have no reason. Gotcha.
Gotcha? How do you mean gotcha. whether I have a reason or not, its my opinion and just because it goes against the cliquey popular consensus, I shouldn't be vilified for it. To me this seems to be the online equivalent to neighborhood watch

Gotcha? How do you mean gotcha. whether I have a reason or not, its my opinion and just because it goes against the cliquey popular consensus, I shouldn't be vilified for it. To me this seems to be the online equivalent to neighborhood watch

How, by saying if you are a "License Holder" or if you are "Associated" with a license?

All you've done there and just reinforce the point I'm making, If they've managed to post in the manual verification thread, then they've got a licence, yet they are still pirating.

Not true.

I would also invite your attention to the browser title shown on your browser.

"License Display and Association | XenForo Community"

Let's take a look at the word Community, shall we?

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of COMMUNITY

: a unified body of individuals: as

a : state, commonwealth

b : the people with common interests living in a particular area; broadly : the area itself <the problems of a large community>

c : an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location

d : a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society <a community of retired persons>

e : a group linked by a common policy

f : a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests <the international community>

g : a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society <the academic community>
: society at large
a : joint ownership or participation <community of goods>

b : common character : likeness <community of interests>

c : social activity : fellowship
d : a social state or condition

Therefore, anyone who holds a valid license should also be able to suggest improvements for the betterment of the community (e.g., those who also hold a license).

How, by saying if you are a "License Holder" or if you are "Associated" with a license?
For starters why does it have to say either. Surely it just saying Licensed Customer should be enough, secondly why can't this be achieved via usergroups and the forums being more restricted.

For starters why does it have to say either. Surely it just saying Licensed Customer should be enough, secondly why can't this be achieved via usergroups and the forums being more restricted.

No, its not enough. There is still not accountability. This will help with that.

No, its not enough. There is still not accountability. This will help with that.
and that's where I think your idea crosses the line. Where is there no accountability? as the xenforo team know which accounts are linked together. Or do you mean to 3rd party's like yourself ? Why should 3rd party's be holding xenforo customers to account?

Seems like trial by forum members here. My licence status is no one else business apart from mine and xenforo's, and any add on developer that I choose to buy from, and if they allow associate users then I'll tell them at that point who I want to be associated with my purchase.

I fully agree, along with changes in the permissions on who can post where. There are far too many posting in the bug reports forum expecting help when they don't have a licensed copy.
This is incorrect. Only valid customer have the permission settings to post in the support forum.

With this said....

I support this movement. (y)

And continue to believe there should be some way for people to identity who is a valid customer.

July 2012 http://xenforo.com/community/threads/att-staff-verified-xenforo-customers-request.33860/
March 2013 http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-18#post-494934

However.... It will not prevent what happened in the "Manual Customer Verification" thread, because anyone can be listed as valid, but you would not know their site(s) name or content. The posting of that 1 individual was rare for him / her to call them self out.

and that's where I think your idea crosses the line. Where is there no accountability? as the xenforo team know which accounts are linked together. Or do you mean to 3rd party's like yourself ? Why should 3rd party's be holding xenforo customers to account?

Seems like trial by forum members here. My licence status is no one else business apart from mine and xenforo's, and any add on developer that I choose to buy from.

When you purchase from a dev, they should know who (if an associate) is the main license holder. There is no trial. If they are not a licensed member, they shouldn't have any other site running (obviously, or they would also be listed as licensed). If the dev is wanting to ensure it is being purchased for use on the site of the license holder, a simple check with the license holder should be enough to confirm. Right now it is a wing and a prayer, and that has failed more times that I care to count. The issue is the "Main Account" sets up 3 other associated names. The associated names are doing the dirty work, and when busted, the name is removed, and another one is replaced. Start the process again. Some developers are not "chatty" with the xF Staff here. Some tend to stay to themselves and not report every issue that is out there, due to their own reasons. However, once you can show proof, these license holders who are allowing this to happen under their name, SHOULD be held accountable. Not everyone in the world who pirates will be willing to spend another $140 just to get 3 users listed on the account and hope they can rip off the place for one or two more add-ons, and get caught and throw another $140 away to start again.

Everyone realizes it will never stop, and that is not the reasoning. This will slow it however. To a crawl. They will not continue to spend the money to get a valid license if they know this.

For reasons beyond me, you seem to think that it doesn't effect you, but actually it does.

This is incorrect. Only valid customer have the permission settings to post in the support forum.

With this said....

I support this movement. (y)

And continue to believe there should be some way for people to identity who is a valid customer.

July 2012 http://xenforo.com/community/threads/att-staff-verified-xenforo-customers-request.33860/
March 2013 http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-18#post-494934

However.... It will not prevent what happened in the "Manual Customer Verification" thread, because anyone can be listed as valid, but you would not know their site(s) name or content. The posting of that 1 individual was rare for him / her to call them self out.

Adam, as stated by Brogan, there are some names in there that have already posted, but no longer have a valid license. Look at the link he quoted.

Adam, as stated by Brogan, there are some names in there that have already posted, but no longer have a valid license. Look at the link he quoted.
I'm aware of that and that's why I agree and support this movement. An actual visual display is a lot more better than the current thread model we're using now. (y)

I just wanted to add that it will not prevent though what happened in the thread (per say). There will always be some undercover mole. :(

I just wanted to add that it will not prevent though what happened in the thread (per say). There will always be some undercover mole. :(

Completely agree Adam. The intent is not to stop, as it will never happen. But with viewable checks, you can bet it will slow it down considerably.

I agree with this wholeheartedly this will definitely help both the devs and license holders save time, as this is a much simpler verification process with some kind of accountability. +1

I personally would rather have the Xenforo team working on something useful rather than coding something that's just not needed as its not going to stop pirating.

Then I've got good news for you.... KAM does not need to code anything. It is already here on XenForo.com

The staff can see that you're valid right here on the forum. It would be simple enough for them to change the permission settings to allow everyone to see what they see.

I love the idea!

Also, a way to quickcheck an email to see if the person is a valid license holder would be cool too.

Something like http://xenforo.com/check.php?email=justinbieber@hotmail.com will return true or false. This makes it easy for devs/stylers to only sell to vaild license holders.

Big +1 to this, if some license checking system were to be added, a way to also check emails would be extremely useful. Some developers such as myself do not maintain an association between email addresses and xenforo usernames.

I love the idea!

Also, a way to quickcheck an email to see if the person is a valid license holder would be cool too.

Something like http://xenforo.com/check.php?email=justinbieber@hotmail.com will return true or false. This makes it easy for devs/stylers to only sell to vaild license holders.
I'm not to big on the e-mail checking system. This just could be a spam bots dream come true... ie ... bot randomly imputes things & upon reaching "valid" ... You get spammed.

Big +1 to this, if some license checking system were to be added, a way to also check emails would be extremely useful. Some developers such as myself do not maintain an association between email addresses and xenforo usernames.

^ I also don't use paypal, myself and depend on friends or family from time to time. Example here would be Luke Foreman.... I really, really wanted his add-on and so I talked to a family member. The e-mail used does not match the e-mail used here on XenForo.com

So an e-mail verification system wouldn't be much use and could be abused.

I'm not to big on the e-mail checking system. This just could be a spam bots dream come true... ie ... bot randomly imputes things & upon reaching "valid" ... You get spammed.

I don't really think that would happen, There are much better ways of scraping email data from the web than randomly slamming things into something such as this. For every 1 "valid" email they get back from using that method they could have built 1000 or so other emails from scraping forums/sites/facebook.

I don't really think that would happen, There are much better ways of scraping email data from the web than randomly slamming things into something such as this. For every 1 "valid" email they get back from using that method they could have built 1000 or so other emails from scraping forums/sites/facebook.
2nd part still holds true.... Not everyone here uses the same e-mail address with paypal (including those of us who don't have paypal, but can sometimes depend on others).

Wouldn't be good (or right) to exclude valid customers.

Can I ask specifically, what do you think displaying this type of verification will accomplish, which the current verified customers thread does not?

Lets say for arguements sake, it gets implemented (and it would be an opt-in service), if people chose not to display all the linked accounts, are you potentially going to turn these people down because they wish to have their privacy maintained?

Can I ask specifically, what do you think displaying this type of verification will accomplish, which the current verified customers thread does not?

Because a multi-page thread is a pain in the arse to search for one specific member, who may, or may not have a license at this point.

Lets say for arguements sake, it gets implemented (and it would be an opt-in service), if people chose not to display all the linked accounts, are you potentially going to turn these people down because they wish to have their privacy maintained?

That would be up to the developer. As they say: "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom