Lack of interest Let users set "Home" page

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

frm

It would be nice if <xf:pageaction> included a "Set as home" button (much like "Add bookmark", "Post thread", etc.) and, instead of following the rules of public navigation, it'd use that for the Home link for logged-in users, defaulting to the public navigation setting until it's set.

For a site like Xenforo, it would come in quite handy as I want my Home to be the forum whereas someone else may want their Home (a developer perhaps) to be an XF resource that they developed. It's irritating to go to a completely different website, as a logged-in user, to have to go back to the forum or click it in the menu (a user experience improvement here). Other forums would have other use cases for this option. Perhaps, someone would want Siropu's chatroom to be the homepage, while others Bob's AMS, etc.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
For public navigation, if the "home" tab is enabled, the public navigation is ignored for logged in users with their "home" set.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't think this is smth. that many users would actually use or even a feature that should be in core.
Persoanlly, I don't use the Home tab or click on the logo as I don't have a need for this, I can access whatever destination from the menu.
Also, quite a few of our forums do not even have a "home page" configured as there is no need to have one.

To me, this is quite different than bookmarks which do have a use in my eyes (and I even have some)

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think this is smth. that many users would actually use or even a feature that should be in core.
With feedback, you're probably right. As I gradually grow from just a forum to a full blown CMS, I'll probably just add this functionality on my own and report back at a later date on how many users have a preferred Home if they're logged in (and route them to that if they go straight to domain dot com if they've 'stayed signed in').

Most likely after 2.2 to reduce potential overhead though.

It'll give a quantitative figure on whether it should be core or not at the very least.

That still wouldn't solve the problem on your site if I was more a frequented visitor to a specific thread, as old timers often are, and that would be my "home" on your site despite what you set the link to as I'd physically make a bookmark to go there and only there, rarely traveling beyond that. You have no control over that so allowing someone to set Home to anything a user wants is really moot, from my side and yours. Despite that, I'd still like it to be implemented.

I'm almost positive that this is a couple lines of code, so whichever way people are swayed, I'll still allow a user to bookmark or set something as their homepage as it, in my eyes, adds a degree of customizability that some may prefer over being taken to what you tell them is their homepage.
I like this because it's user centered and without users, there is no community. Ask me how i know. Ok, I'll tell you. My first forum attempt failed because no one used it. The reason for the failure is another topic. The point here is serving users, good users is a goal i will strive for in my second attempt at a forum. Any xf features that are user centered are at the top of my why-I-like-xf list that i tell other people about. This is a key sales point for xf.

Secondly, as a user myself i would love this option. My home base is new posts and i keep coming back there all the time. My thinking goes like this: . I just finished that task (at work) so I'll take a short break and see whats new on my favorite forum... Break over, back to work. This happens all day long so i believe a supportive user based feature like a self defined home would encourage viewing. Ok, I'm off work now and my wife closed my browser page so i get back to my home base really fast. New page, type a few letters until my browser fills my url correctly and I'm Home again and viewing content.if my browser page is untouched i just hit the browser refresh and I'm back reading content.

I see the main use for this after a reboot, a browser start and a browser page start. If the browser is left at my Home, a refresh will do.

I like this because it's user centered and without users, there is no community. Ask me how i know. Ok, I'll tell you. My first forum attempt failed because no one used it. The reason for the failure is another topic. The point here is serving users, good users is a goal i will strive for in my second attempt at a forum. Any xf features that are user centered are at the top of my why-I-like-xf list that i tell other people about. This is a key sales point for xf.

Secondly, as a user myself i would love this option. My home base is new posts and i keep coming back there all the time. My thinking goes like this: . I just finished that task (at work) so I'll take a short break and see whats new on my favorite forum... Break over, back to work. This happens all day long so i believe a supportive user based feature like a self defined home would encourage viewing. Ok, I'm off work now and my wife closed my browser page so i get back to my home base really fast. New page, type a few letters until my browser fills my url correctly and I'm Home again and viewing content.if my browser page is untouched i just hit the browser refresh and I'm back reading content.

I see the main use for this after a reboot, a browser start and a browser page start. If the browser is left at my Home, a refresh will do.
You get it. ;)

But thank you for that idea too. I never thought of leaving off at their last viewed page in the instance of a browser crash or they hop on with a different device and the initial page they will see is where they last left off and not what I specify as their Home. Love it!

You get it. ;)

But thank you for that idea too. I never thought of leaving off at their last viewed page in the instance of a browser crash or they hop on with a different device and the initial page they will see is where they last left off and not what I specify as their Home. Love it!
Yeah, we're thinking along the same lines. Get back to what you love with the fewest clicks possible. Encourage use any way you can.

Top Bottom